mlapaglia

Iwb Holster For New M&p Shield

I got one of the new Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm pistols. It is amazing. Shoots great, fantastic trigger but no holsters yet.

So I made an IWB for mine. It used a clip to hold it to the belt and is Rough out. This is the first version of the holster. The edges have not been finished. It was done using some stained scrap 8/9 leather. However it is at the point where all it needs is little adjustments to the edges and a finish. I am pretty happy with the current version.

I am including several pictures and the pattern in a PDF format. You are free to use the pattern anyway you like. If you make a change Id like to see the change to see how you improved it. You are free to sell any holsters you make with this pattern. Please do not sell the pattern but you are free to give it away.

When you print the PDF file please print it at 99%. This way it will print to the correct size.

Let me know any questions or comments you have. When critiquing please remember its a first version and has not been edged or had any finish applied. Im going to ]week or two then make another using any changes i think it needs.

post-22515-000246800 1336241772_thumb.jp

post-22515-050191000 1336241694_thumb.jp

post-22515-049236700 1336241684_thumb.jp

post-22515-049682200 1336241686_thumb.jp

post-22515-039986000 1336241688_thumb.jp

post-22515-042773700 1336241690_thumb.jp

post-22515-054490200 1336241692_thumb.jp

SHIELD IWB1 pattern.pdf

Edited by mlapaglia

68 views and no comments??? Is it that bad?

FYI if you make the pattern you need to round the corners on the top piece that holds clip in place. Also the rivet only goes from the clamp to the top piece. It does not extend into the area the pistol sits in.

I know its just a draft but someone must have a comment. :whatdoyouthink::feedback:

Ive worn it all day at 1-2 oclock and its really comfortable.

Michael

(I know its pathetic to beg for comments but its been a slow week :lol:)

Michael,

I am not a fan of IWB holsters but have started getting requests for them. I have made one for myself, (glock #30) and carried it for a few days. This hardly qualifies me to comment on yours but you asked for it !:blahblahblah:

Do you find that the retention to be good? I molded my holster a little bit and with the belt and IWB it seemed o.k. It looks like yours is like a western rig with little molding, does it stay in place? Mine rode a little high and I was always concerned that it did not conceal well, next time I will set the straps/snaps higher on the holster lowering it. (yours looks good)

That is all I have, you explained the edges and all that (I have a box full of crappy test holsters!)

I have not printed the pattern but its great of you to include! It will help a bunch of people get started!

Rick

Edited by rickybobby

Michael,

I am not a fan of IWB holsters but have started getting requests for them. I have made one for myself, (glock #30) and carried it for a few days. This hardly qualifies me to comment on yours but you asked for it !:blahblahblah:

Do you find that the retention to be good? I molded my holster a little bit and with the belt and IWB it seemed o.k. It looks like yours is like a western rig with little molding, does it stay in place? Mine rode a little high and I was always concerned that it did not conceal well, next time I will set the straps/snaps higher on the holster lowering it. (yours looks good)

That is all I have, you explained the edges and all that (I have a box full of crappy test holsters!)

I have not printed the pattern but its great of you to include! It will help a bunch of people get started!

Rick

Rick,

It's not molded at all. With the rough out and the belt against the holster there is no problem with the retention. The stitch lines are close enough that I can turn the holster upside down and shake it and the weapon stays put. The clip is a great way to hold the holster against the belt.

So far the only think I have found is the holster might ride a little too low. It may be just a little to close to the top of the belt to get aq good grip on the gun for removal. Ill try it for another few days and see.

If all goes well my CCW should clear in 30 days and then I can give it a real test.

Thanks for the comments.

Michael.

Looks similar to one I just completed. I think these M&P Shields will be big sellers hopefully it trickles down to us small builders.

post-18333-085210500 1336437956_thumb.jp

post-18333-007555800 1336437956_thumb.jp

Edited by Shooter McGavin

Looks similar to one I just completed. I think these M&P Shields will be big sellers hopefully it trickles down to us small builders.

post-18333-085210500 1336437956_thumb.jp

post-18333-007555800 1336437956_thumb.jp

Yep they are similar. I see you used the next size up clip. I had both and just went with the smaller one. Both seem to work well. Thanks for sharing your holster. I like the design. I skipped the reinforcement piece on mine. It stays open pretty well and on an IWB that I carry at 1 oclock I tend to not worry about tactical re-holstering. I will add it if anyone wants one that way. Heck Ill dye it purple with red and green leds for the right price. :P

There are no holsters for the Shield in town so I am hoping to generate some work before the big boys catch up with production.

Have you had a chance to shoot the Shield. Its a really nice gun and very accurate for a 3 inch barrel. I have decided to make it my carry weapon when my permit comes through. I am on day 62 or 90 day wait for that. Ive got a M&P 9mm FS, the 9C and now the Shield and I like the shield the best.

Michael

I like the pattern. I used to carry my Kahr PM9 in one very similar, that is, until I started playing with Kydex. The Kydex holster, being rigid, retains its shape. It is easier to reholster.

I like the pattern. I used to carry my Kahr PM9 in one very similar, that is, until I started playing with Kydex. The Kydex holster, being rigid, retains its shape. It is easier to re-holster.

On a personal level I do not see the need for the ability to do a tactical re-holster on a concealed personal defense weapon. At the range my holster is rigid leather with a reenforced throat. I pull the gun and re-holster is several times while at the range. When I carry for PD I do not see my pulling it unless I need to. At that point I really do not have to worry about being able to put it back with one hand. Thank being said I carry this one at 1:00 so its easier to not have it held open. My avenger and my avenger style IWB that I carry at 3:00 does stay open. Its all a matter of taste I guess.

Thanks for the info.

Michael

On a personal level I do not see the need for the ability to do a tactical re-holster on a concealed personal defense weapon. At the range my holster is rigid leather with a reenforced throat. I pull the gun and re-holster is several times while at the range. When I carry for PD I do not see my pulling it unless I need to. At that point I really do not have to worry about being able to put it back with one hand. Thank being said I carry this one at 1:00 so its easier to not have it held open. My avenger and my avenger style IWB that I carry at 3:00 does stay open. Its all a matter of taste I guess.

Thanks for the info.

Michael

I agree completely about rehostering. My personal IWB holster has no reinforcement at all, and it completely collapses when I draw the weapon. I can still reholster rather easily with one hand. In my opinion, comfort is king for a concealed carry holster. Anything that adds bulk or stiffness usually takes away from comfort.

I am required to carry on my "strong side" between 2:00 and 4:00 and being able to efficiently reholster is a consideration. The Crossbreed style holster is absolutely the most comfortable holster I have ever worn.

I complimented your pattern because it looks like a fairly safe design due to the sweep upwards from the trigger guard towards the rear sight. It looks like it reduces the chances for the following to happen...http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/safety-warning-worn-leather-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/

I am required to carry on my "strong side" between 2:00 and 4:00 and being able to efficiently reholster is a consideration. The Crossbreed style holster is absolutely the most comfortable holster I have ever worn.

I complimented your pattern because it looks like a fairly safe design due to the sweep upwards from the trigger guard towards the rear sight. It looks like it reduces the chances for the following to happen...http://www.itstactic...tal-discharges/

I appreciate the compliment. I agree that Kydex is a good choice when re-holstering is an issue. I may have to get a sample and play with it.

Nice stitching on the trigger guard. The whole thing looks nice. Whats your trick on the boning. I cant ever seem to get my trigger guard that well defined.

Is that 8/9oz?

Michael