I'm thinking about trying to cut my own lace for braiding after reading David Morgan's Braiding Fine Leather. After looking at David's site I see he only has skins in natural or black. I was wondering if these skins could be dyed. They are bark tanned and drum stuffed.

Jason

Jason, the problem you would have with dying a complete Roo hide, is that you will not get complete color saturation. This will mean that the edge and back of your lace is going to be the same natural color as when you started. What I have done in the past, and is very messy, is to take a small tupperware container, puch two holes in the sides across from each other. Then put a cut piece of coat hanger through the holes.

Fill the tupperware with dye to just above the coat hanger. Then you can slowly pull the cut lace throught the dye, using the coat hanger bar to hold the lace under the dye level.

As I said, this is messy, but it does work.

Ken

I'm thinking about trying to cut my own lace for braiding after reading David Morgan's Braiding Fine Leather. After looking at David's site I see he only has skins in natural or black. I was wondering if these skins could be dyed. They are bark tanned and drum stuffed.

Jason

Ken,

If I'm understanding you right, your suggesting to dip dye the lace after its been cut. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason, yes that's what I mean, but not to just throw the whole bunch into the dye, but to pull it through in a steady motion. This will give you a more even effect.

Ken

Hi,If you are after Kangaroo skins Packer Leather QLD Australia sells them pre dyed. I think they sell overseas and their quality is very reliable.Their link is http://www.packerleather.com/The staff their are really helpful so give them a try

Johanne(no I don;t work for them :):thumbsup:

Edited by JLD

Hi,If you are after Kangaroo skins Packer Leather QLD Australia sells them pre dyed. I think they sell overseas and their quality is very reliable.Their link is http://www.packerleather.com/The staff their are really helpful so give them a try

Quality is excellent but Packer Leather shipping charges are outrageous. Check out Murphy Whips for colored kangaroo lace. Also in Australia but a whole lot less expensive shipping charges.

Jason

I have dyed my strings after they are cut by using rubber gloves and a piece of sheepskin. Also kind of messy but works. The best dye I've found is Lincoln dye. It has an alcohol base and really penetrates well.

Skinner