markush

Do All Of You That Use Spirit Dye And Heat Dry, Oil?

My first few holster were colored with the vinegaroon process so I always oiled them with neatsfoot. Now I'm playing around with the Angelus spirit based dyes and heat drying and am wondering if I should continue to use the neatsfoot on them?

My first few holster were colored with the vinegaroon process so I always oiled them with neatsfoot. Now I'm playing around with the Angelus spirit based dyes and heat drying and am wondering if I should continue to use the neatsfoot on them?

Yep --- a light coat. Mike

I always have, with no ill affects. Why stop now?

Why stop now?

Well...the biggest reason is that the dye process has added 2 days wait/dry time to a holster. If I could cut out the oil I'd get back one of those. With the vinegaroon the oil added that last bit of necessary blackness to my pieces that isn't needed with my dyed stuff. So I'm wondering if it is as necessary to condition the leather with the oil when using spirit dye and 130 degree heat as it is with vinegaroon and baking soda dips.

Well...the biggest reason is that the dye process has added 2 days wait/dry time to a holster. If I could cut out the oil I'd get back one of those. With the vinegaroon the oil added that last bit of necessary blackness to my pieces that isn't needed with my dyed stuff. So I'm wondering if it is as necessary to condition the leather with the oil when using spirit dye and 130 degree heat as it is with vinegaroon and baking soda dips.

Mark, I'm a little fish in a big ocean so this is worth what you paid for it. I have found that through the molding process, especially when heat is involved, the leather drys out fairly significantly. Not only does the oil even out my colors which is a big bonus it also replenishes the leathers natural oils. That's the way I see it, in any case. I've found when I slow down and give every step it's necessary time better results come hand in hand.

In other works make one without, wear it, and then you'll know. Guinea pig is the only way I get anything myself these days!

Mark, I'm a little fish in a big ocean so this is worth what you paid for it. I have found that through the molding process, especially when heat is involved, the leather drys out fairly significantly. Not only does the oil even out my colors which is a big bonus it also replenishes the leathers natural oils. That's the way I see it, in any case. I've found when I slow down and give every step it's necessary time better results come hand in hand.

In other works make one without, wear it, and then you'll know. Guinea pig is the only way I get anything myself these days!

FWIW from the old grump ---- sound reasoning, so, ditto. Mike

I have recently made two without oil that I have worn several times and can notice no difference...what would I watch out for...surface cracking? When would this happen...imediately or months, years down the road? The problems that show up immediately are my own and I can deal with that. The problems that show up down the road would be a whole different story! I understand you guys saying oil doesn't hurt....But If a step is totally unnecessary and adding 24 hours to my process, of course I would prefer to avoid it.

I have recently made two without oil that I have worn several times and can notice no difference...what would I watch out for...surface cracking? When would this happen...imediately or months, years down the road? The problems that show up immediately are my own and I can deal with that. The problems that show up down the road would be a whole different story! I understand you guys saying oil doesn't hurt....But If a step is totally unnecessary and adding 24 hours to my process, of course I would prefer to avoid it.

FWIW from the grump --- again. I personally don't give much of a hoo-ha (a highly technical and politically correct term) about a 24 hour difference in the manufacturing process. My customers wait for my stuff and fully understand that old farts don't do anything quickly, or that I may want to go fishing or shoot some trap. They do expect that I care about the longevity of my stuff, and know that I have holsters, properly cared for, in good shape, still in use, made by me 30+ years ago. As a matter of fact I just had an old customer drop by, hand me some cash and a brand new gun while saying that the one I built him in 1979 was stolen --- along with the gun. Then all he said was, "make me another to fit the new one as good as that last one, call me when it's done", and off he went. Proper construction includes a shot of oil after wet molding IMO. Mike

Edited by katsass

I will lean with Mike on this one as well. 24 hours tonwards the longevity of the piece shouldn't even be a question. It may work but I'm not willing to find out at my customers expense.

Can you tie the oil step in with another step that you do the same day? For example, I burnish and oil all on the same night since oiling goes rather quickly.

Can you tie the oil step in with another step that you do the same day? For example, I burnish and oil all on the same night since oiling goes rather quickly.

The way I currently do things I cannot see how to incorporated the oil with anything else. There may be but I can't see it. It's not a huge deal. I've always tried to approach everything I do from the "work smarter, not harder" standpoint. And this is just one of those things that since I have seen no hard evidence that it is necessary, I have to question it. And like I said, I did try a couple without the oil and saw absolutely no difference...in the short term.