WELSHMAN

Work Bench Top ?

Going to build a work bench this weekend. What material would work best for the top ? Wood - Polyethylene Plastic Thanks Lynn

I used 5/8" plywood on my top. For cutting i use a plastic / nylon (or what ever their made from) cutting board and put a piece of rubber shelf liner under the plastic to keep it from sliding around.

Use some kind of wood or plywood for the top and then top that plywood with 1/8" HDPE (white cutting board material). A plastics shop should be able to cut you a piece that fits whatever dimensions your table is and you can cut right on your table. Just screw it in place and you're good to go.

Andrew

I used a 24x72 piece of 3/4" birch plywood. Covered 1/2 of it with pondo board and the other 1/2 I got a 1.25" piece of gray granite on it. Works real good for my sheath and little bit of holster making that I do.

You will not find a better top than a solid core door. They will not warp, bounce or whatever. They are cheap too, because you do not care what it looks like.

I'll go with Electrathon. Solid core door. Cheap! AND then add a HDPE top. The best of all worlds.

I have two and love them!

Kevin

Thanks folks for the reply's.My wife has a nice wooden dinner table in her home office I'm taking from her. This will work till we get moved and I know how much room I have to play with.