Sign in to follow this  
rickeyfro

Sheridan Tools

Got a favor to ask, I find myself with a few hundred extra dollars and I want to start doing some Sheridan style carving, Id like if some of you more experienced guys could suggest some tools, Ive got Ellis Barnes basic set, but Id like to get 5 or 6 more quality tools, preferably Barry Kings. I just get overwhelmed looking at Barrys website and dont know exactly which ones to get.

Got a favor to ask, I find myself with a few hundred extra dollars and I want to start doing some Sheridan style carving, Id like if some of you more experienced guys could suggest some tools, Ive got Ellis Barnes basic set, but Id like to get 5 or 6 more quality tools, preferably Barry Kings. I just get overwhelmed looking at Barrys website and dont know exactly which ones to get.

You can check on Robert Beard's website. I saw that he had a "sheridan" set. I know that Hide Crafter's had a Sheridan set of tools. They also carry the BK tools. Talk with Ron (specifically) and let him know what you are trying to accomplish and get some suggestions.

I am building my set, but I am getting some guidance from a sheridan belt maker who comes to our guild meetings. I try to gain as much knowledge from those willing to share.....which is not often.

Good luck.

I would definately get the leaf liner and flower center shader, and I'd definately get the undercut bevelers in as many sizes as I could afford. I also might get some of the convex and concave bevelers to make things a bit easier.

There just went your few hundred extra dollars, but you won't regret spending it like that!

Thanks Hilly, one more question, are the pictures in barrys catalog & website pretty accurate as far as actual size of the stamp impression?

The pictures in Barrys catalong are very accurate. In a basic set you will need some of the following,

Set of checkered bevellers, I have 4 but rarely use more than the #1 .

Under shot bevellers or lifter I think is how they are in the cataloge. I have several but a #1 will get you buy. The bigger the flower and leaves the bigger the lifter needed.

Flower Center

Flower center beveller

Thumbprint, suggest a small # mediun

small seeder

Mule foot, small & Mediun

Bar grounder or round grounder

Smooth viener (I use it as a stop)

Scalloped viener

I know I have missed something but I am not in front of my tooling bench right now.

One thing about Barrys tools they are very nice and leave very crisp lines. I usally buy a few each time I see him at the shows. I think they are the best buy out there as far as the custom tools makers go.

Randy

Thanks Randy, thats just the info I was looking for

If you have a few extra hundred dollars, just get them all! If you accidentally get one you don't like, just send them here, I'll dispose of them for you!