ChelseaC

What Kind Of Sewing Machine?

I'd love help finding a Sewing machine that can sew through 2-5 layers of 2-4 ounce leather....Cow Hide, Goat, and deerskin is what I normally use. I have a Brother cs6000i right now and it does fairly well with thinner leather. I am making baby shoes/moccasins and have up to $1000 to spend, but $700 would be better :) I read through the amazingly informative sewing machine post, but I am still lost in the sea of machines!!

post-61974-0-40717700-1430067252_thumb.j

post-61974-0-33777900-1430067259_thumb.j

post-61974-0-89652000-1430067267_thumb.j

post-61974-0-56354700-1430067276_thumb.j

post-61974-0-75750600-1430067305_thumb.j

$1000 is not a lot of money in the new leather sewing machine world. If you get something used, it would need a speed reducer to slow it down and increase power. Your best bet is to talk to one of the advertisers here on leatherworker.net. They can match machine to your needs. Something that can do what you need will run at least $1595. Try to find who is the closest and pay them a visit.

Art

Sorry Chelsea, i know nothing about sewing machines as i hand stitch everything, i could not help but tell you how fantastic your shoes look though.

Edited by JAZZMAN

Thank you Art! I guess really I should stick to 2-3 ounce leather if that makes a difference. I can only spend $1000 right now and I don't mind used or old, as long as its functional and can sew pretty smoothly/without getting jammed. any suggestions would be so great, so I can do some research.

Thanks so much Jazzman! I'm really enjoying making them and hopefully can find a machine in my budget :)

this is an example of what I need to sew through and of course its a little different with each hide :)

post-61974-0-21354500-1430090903_thumb.j

This is a Juki DD 5550, could something like this work for what I need?

post-61974-0-00004200-1430093413_thumb.j

or there is the sail rite ultrafeed basic walking foot machine that is $600 way more on budget, but I wonder about function.

If you said where you live maybe somebody knows somebody that wants to sell.

Does anyone know about the 29-4?? What info can you give me? :) would that be something worth looking into, something I can use?

Oops. Singer 29-4 :)

Hi,

I would like to know if a 'vintage' singer 121w180 would sew leather.

It had been used for making drapes which is why I am concerned.

They have told me 'it will sew leather', apparently an often repeated and

often untrue statement.

Does anyone know if this machine can handle that?

Thanks very much

oops I think I posted this in the wrong place, sorry.

Chelsea,

Forget the 29-4, it is a shoe patcher that you buy when you need it. They are cantankerous and have what may be the smallest bobbins on the planet. The 5550 is a good machine for flat work, such as sewing (decorating) boot tops of 4-6 oz leather. The Highlead might be a good buy, if it is a needle feed (looks like it has a safety clutch) 618 type so much the better. Remember, that is the type of machine that comes with a safety clutch, speed reducer, and servo motor NEW for $1595 and you should assume an older one without all that stuff should sell for way less. An older one may have been used hard and not taken care of, so be careful. If you are in South California, take a trip over to Ontario and see Steve Tayrien at Leather Machine Company. Take some of your leather over and sew it off, push him for a deal and make him deliver it for free. Get what you want and need so the machine will last a long time. Paying a little more is ok if you only have to buy it once.

Art

I don't know where Paso Robles is located in reference to where you live but there is s Consew 206rb for sale at $675 on Craigslist. I think this would make an excellent machine for your shop.