Carved a particularly nasty section of leather - full of fat lines and insect bites - just to see what what would happen. Block dyed it with dark brown and laced with Roo, upholstery fabric on the inside.

post-15132-074287500 1282817153_thumb.jp

post-15132-009052100 1282817163_thumb.jp

post-15132-078900600 1282817171_thumb.jp

Edited by BAD HIDE

Very nice work! It's amazing what can be done with an ugly hide and a little artistry. The manager at my local Tandy store told me one time that they don't charge extra for the bad spots. LOL!

Bad, bad, bad, that's bad-to-the-bone!!!

Do you adhere the upholstery fabric to the leather? If so, with what, how, ... a tip ... please? Haven't block dyed in awhile, gotta do something along those line. That looks cool!

Yep, just glue it together with contact cement before you put the guts on. For block dying, I just dip a rag in dye, blot off the excess, then carefully rub the dye onto the project. When your rag is almost dry is when you get the best results and you can rub harder and almost burnish the dye into the high spots.

wow that is just plain awesome!

Ugly leather's the best kind... It's got the character of a tough life on the range. I'm always a bit confounded by the many leatherworkers that insist on the most pristine surface money can buy. Your project is the perfect example of what can be done with the average piece of leather. Amazing! :notworthy:

Ugly leather's the best kind... It's got the character of a tough life on the range. I'm always a bit confounded by the many leatherworkers that insist on the most pristine surface money can buy. Your project is the perfect example of what can be done with the average piece of leather. Amazing! :notworthy:

Oh, I definitely agree. I've been using a lot of lower grade hides because I'm trying to go from a hobbyist that sometimes makes things for friends to a hobbyist that makes lots of things, has a website, and turns a profit. Actually I don't mind the cosmetic defects nearly that much, and it kinda fits the name, so I think I'm done with Grade A hides for a while. And if you can't do something right, at least make it look like it was on purpose.

Oh, I definitely agree. I've been using a lot of lower grade hides because I'm trying to go from a hobbyist that sometimes makes things for friends to a hobbyist that makes lots of things, has a website, and turns a profit. Actually I don't mind the cosmetic defects nearly that much, and it kinda fits the name, so I think I'm done with Grade A hides for a while. And if you can't do something right, at least make it look like it was on purpose.

yeah it seems to me that people run from skin like that but i dont know why. It already has built in character! There is nothing wrong with a perfect product, but sometimes the more perfect it is the more it looks like some machine punched it out. I think that some flaws should be left it keeps people humble!

Edited by byfbo