Sign in to follow this  
trutexan36

Best Tools For The Job

Hey All,

I have been a lurker here for quite some time but I am ready to venture out and get better at this hobby of mine. I started out like many, intrigued by this awesome art form which is slowing taking over my life and I couldn't be any happier. Anyways I bought all of my stuff from Tandy to begin with. The store was fairly close, I could hold each product before buying it, test them out, and pick out my own leather. But now I am ready to upgrade my tools, leather and all around job that I am doing on the leather. I think higher quality tools are where I need to begin.

So, can anyone point me in the right direction.. I have just been making belts, wallets and knife sheaths lately. So the most common tools ya'll use for these projects, the brands, and where to find them will be greatly appreciated.

Looking for mallets, swivel knives, all new stamping tools, the whole shabang!!

Also, I am posting a belt that I've made and just looking to get any feed back.. It was one for myself so I tried a few different Ideas on it LOL.

post-16352-075006800 1311310871_thumb.jp

post-16352-047116200 1311310937_thumb.jp

Hi trutexan,

There are several mail order websites to order tools from, but since I am very cheap, I make all my tools myself, this way I can tailor make them for my own needs. There are good books about tool making and backyard blacksmithing. If you have a grinder or file set, a simple anvil and a heat source like a blow torch, you are in business.

I hope I didn't open Pandora's box now ;-)

Hello my names Rob and I get my tools from Barry King. I have his swivel knife and its smooth working and the blade holds a sharp edge for a long time. I also have been getting my stamping tools from there. I've looked around and I don't think you can get any better tools any where else. There are places you can get more expensive tools, but I don't think they are made any better. Check him out. Thats my 2 cents worth. Rob

I will give you a honest answer and point you in the right direction. The right direction is to get back to the workbench and learn to use the tools you have. If you can't use a swivel knife no better than what that belt shows, or for that matter - bevel any smoother than that, than throwing a bunch of money at it isn't the answer. The right direction for you is to get back to the practice bench and get those two basic skills down right before going any further. There are plenty of good instruction books around that show step by step how to do it right. When you can produce a practice piece that looks like the one in the book, then you are ready to move on. If you are going to get better at that you need to be your own worst (best) critic. Every good leathercarver I know sees every thing he did wrong, or wishes was better in his work. Usually work that others will ooh and ahh over.

I keep hearing about all of these wonderful tools out there and I have priced some of them and found them to be out of my league. I am not saying they are not good or worth the price I am just saying I am poor and cannot afford these luxuries. After 25+ years tooling leather and having won several awards I have come to the conclusion that it is not the quality of the tool but the quality of the person that holds it.

I would agree with you, up to a point. But a good carver with a tandy knife will will be a great carver with a high quality knife. Stamping tools are the same, I have some tandy's that just dont have the details like a King tool will have. So yes, I agree he needs to learn how to use the tools he has until he gets to the point he wants to spend some money, I tell my students that the first good tool they should buy is a good swivel knife, but they have to learn to use a cheep one first. I have some Snap On tools in my tool box, but that don't make me a good mechanic! lol

Randy

I keep hearing about all of these wonderful tools out there and I have priced some of them and found them to be out of my league. I am not saying they are not good or worth the price I am just saying I am poor and cannot afford these luxuries. After 25+ years tooling leather and having won several awards I have come to the conclusion that it is not the quality of the tool but the quality of the person that holds it.