Barlaam1

How Should I Buy My Hides

I currently make suspenders and radio straps for fire fighters using Hermann Oak 8-10oz leather. The last couple of orders I have been ordering a single bend (For the straps and suspenders) and a Hermann Oak Belly (for the radio holster). Is there a better option for how I should order my leather? Should I buy a whole hide? If I do that will I still get the part of the cow the single bend comes from? I order in small quantities. what would you order? I also vinegroon all my pieces to make them black. probably 90% of my orders are for black. should I order it pre-dyed?

Thank you

Ben.

A single bend is one side squared off to remove the shoulders, belly and neck. A side has a back, neck, shoulder and belly. A Hide is 2 sides (the whole cow).

I usually buy a side, as I sometimes need the longer lengths you get with it for belts. But I have also bought single and double bends if they look nice. It does cut down on waste a little, but I DO try to use it all. Even if for making test patterns.

Tandy has a nice page that outlines it all.

Pre-dyed will save you some time, for sure but someone else will have to guide you as to the pros and cons of it. I've only used the brown, but was satisfied with it for my needs.

BTW, I sent you a PM about the suspenders.

Thanks

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/infoandservices/leatherguide/leatherguide.aspx

There is also a cut called a culatta (not available from all suppliers) that consists of a bend and the belly portion (minus the upper part of the "belly" where the shoulder cut would be). There is a culatta cut diagrammed on this page.

http://www.waterhouseleather.com/leather_buying_guide.htm

Thank you WinterBear. That will help alot.Tom I will send you a reply on your PM here shortly. Thanks for all the help

Edited by Barlaam1

I second buying by the side. You will typically get a better price per square foot, and will have the same pieces of leather you are currently using plus more clean leather from the shoulder that can be used. For the main cases that I do, the bellies are useless. I cut them off as soon as I unroll a side. However, I use them for things that stretch etc arent a factor. If you are looking at cost effectiveness, buy by the side.

Chuck

I buy backs. The belly pieces are useless for me and I end up with bins full that I never use. Backs are long enough for belts and strong enough for everything.