lightingale

How To Machine Sew A Buckle And Dee To A Collar?

I'm a lucky new owner of an Artisan Toro 3200. My awesome husband surprised me with this belated Christmas gift, and I'm over the moon! I've been pining for one like this for years! I haven't had the opportunity to play with it yet until we can procure a second workbench for it, as it's the benchtop version and it weighs a whopping 150 lbs.

I don't have a lot of experience sewing with machines yet. I'm trying to figure out how to sew a buckle and dee on a leather dog collar on 8-9 oz. veg tan leather, which is my primary product. I've attached a photo of how I do it by hand. It seems like most machine sewers of collars and belts just rivet the thing shut. I'm not a fan of rivets, as I've seen them come loose sometimes, so I'd rather sew the hardware in.

Is there an acceptable way to machine-sew the hardware on a belt or dog collar? I'm told it's bad to sew across the width (weakening the leather at that line).. is this still a concern? Thoughts?

post-29375-0-41363400-1422136666_thumb.j

Copper, stainless steel or solid brass rivets are the way to go. You can sew for looks but, rivets are the way. Do not use plated steel rivets. Thread will rot and come apart long before a well set rivet will ever come apart. You can find 100 year old straps and the copper rivets are still intact.

Second the copper rivets, They look especially good on latigo which is what I make my collars with.

Cya!

Bob

Good to know. Thanks you both.

Will check what (few, all sourced from Tandy) rivets I have and replace them with copper, brass, or stainless steel if needed.

The copper rivets require a ball peen hammer and preferably an anvil in addition to the setting tool available from Tandy. They are stronger than stitching.

Cya!

Bob

I've always said a good job of riveting beats a poor job of sewing any day!

What about a good job of sewing vs a good job of riveting? I much prefer the look of hand sewn, and I'll grant that over 50 years the thread may degrade, but for at least the first decade is there any measurable difference?

Thanks!

No doubt about that, but it all depends upon the application, and the customer. Some people aren't willing to pay me $50 to hand sew something that will take 5 minutes to rivet. If it's not about the money, then by all means, everything else being equal, sewing certainly looks better.

Lightingale,

check out this thread:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=51729&hl=%2Bcopper+%2Brivet+%2Bjig

I bought one of these jigs and they are great! Takes a bit of practice for consistent Rivets, but you save some money over the ready-made ones and you can make them the exact length you need.

Black Dogg

Lightingale,

check out this thread:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=51729&hl=%2Bcopper+%2Brivet+%2Bjig

I bought one of these jigs and they are great! Takes a bit of practice for consistent Rivets, but you save some money over the ready-made ones and you can make them the exact length you need.

Black Dogg

What a neat idea! It didn't cross my mind that I could craft my own rivets from copper wire, but I'm loving the idea. I'll look into this further. Thanks for the suggestion!