Sign in to follow this  
megabit

Transition 8 plait (no core) to 16 plait (core)?

Anyone have any tips for making this transition? How about a tutorial or a book with instructions? (if it is a book I hope I have it aready :rolleyes: )

I made a honda last night 8 plait without a core was no problem. Then I got to where I wanted to join the ends and go 16 plait over a large screw driver (to be removed later). I noticed that Grant doesn't seem to have a 16 plait example. I assume it should go U2 O2 U2 O2, is that right? Man was mine ugly. I covered it up with a pineapple and Spanish ring, I'll post a pic tonight. I think I missed the last run on the pineapple but the knot was just to tight to go further.

Mike

Edited by megabit

In Grant's Encyclopedia, page 351, he shows an 8 to a 16. It's in the Hobbles section...

I think your sequence is right. Did you maybe forget that you have to braid the "inside" strings first, laying them in the sequence they would be if the braid started further up? When I do a 25-strand in horsehair, this takes quite a while, but if I don't do it the braid won't look right at the start.

In Grant's Encyclopedia, page 351, he shows an 8 to a 16. It's in the Hobbles section...

I think your sequence is right.

Thanks, at least I was on the right track. Now I just need to work on it. I think I'll cut up some paracord and do some prototypes and practice to get the patterned down better before I take the time to cut up string again. I am getting fair at the knots but my plaiting still sucks. ;)

This place is great, I think without the help I get here I would have tossed the towel in long ago.