I have come across different XD 9mm guns that are different where I had thought they were the same. Frustrating. I have in my shop an XD9 subcompact that is my sons new gun and is different than his XD 9 compact (if memory serves me) which he has a holster for.

I had the same thing not to long ago but would fail to call the two nomenclatures correctly.

Is there any rhyme or reason to compatibility that I can reference in the future?

This is one of the little frustrations, thinking a gun is compatible with another one and there is the ever so slight difference.

Most of the earlier XD-9, XD-40, and XD-45 pistols share common dimensions at most critical points, the major differences being overall length (barrel-slide group) and grip-frame dimensions. The later XD-M series introduced an entirely different slide profile and a few minor dimensional differences.

The only thing I am absolutely sure of is that when I think I have it all figured out they will promptly announce another "new and improved" version. Happens every few weeks.

They recently released the XD Subcompact "Mod 2" models, which are roughly the same dimensions as the original XD Subcompacts, but just different enough that I'm not sure if they'll work in the same holsters.

AAAARRRRGGHHH!

I've already got five XD blue guns, and the only one I ever need is the XD/s. The new XD/2 models have slimmer, redesigned slides and different grips, which mean they won't fit in holsters for the older models.

curse them!

tk

This compact should have a roughly 4" barrel and the subcompact should be 3.25"

As mentioned earlier the new XD Mod2 has a different slide profile than the original XDSubCompact but the biggest difference for holster makers is the Mod2 has a rounded trigger guard while all other double stack XD models are squared off.

There is no such beast as an XD9 compact. The XD9SubCompact has a 3" barrel, the XD45SC has a 4" barrel. The XD9/40/45/357 have 4" barrels but longer grips and are labeled as the "service" models. The .45 cal versions have slightly wider slides than other versions. If you use a SubCompact mold gun for an open bottom 4" service model holster you do need to know the take down levers are slightly different in both size and location.

A lot of this information is found here: http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd-series/

The gun is question is the 4" xd which would be the service model. I could see why people would refer to it as a "compact" since its between the 3 " sub compact and the full size. But the observation at hand that I can't explain is that the 3" subcompact 9mm dont fit in the 4" xd service model. Yet they are "supposed" to be the same.

I am going to look into the take down lever and see if that makes the difference that I am seeing