Jimbob

upgrading a Singer 99K

Hello ya all...

I got a little Singer 99', which I use for wallets and such, also some 2-3 oz veg tan liner and chrom tan bags up to 3-4oz....works OK,but I need a little more power seems like and yes I know this machine was not designed to do leather but it is a stout little bugger in mint shape with beautiful stitches!!!

Is there any way to make this baby stronger???

It transports anything I want, just the motor gives out and when I help a little on the handwheel she runs right along...

James

Look for a higher amperage motor.

I got a little Singer 99'....need a little more power seems like....Is there any way to make this baby stronger???

...the motor gives out and when I help a little on the handwheel she runs right along...

James

Put a larger handwheel on it. If it's got the basic small disc-type wheel on it that most electric 99s came out with, a larger spoke-type wheel is an easy conversion. The larger wheel will give it a little more momentum, similar to adding a flywheel to a system.

Changing wheels is a common conversion, and necessary to create a 99 handcrank using after-market parts that are now available (the handcranks require a spoked wheel for the "finger" to operate the wheel). I know you're not wanting to go handcrank, but the larger wheels have the belt groove like the smaller wheels, and you'll like the larger wheel for those times when you still need to help a little by hand.

Best choice is to find an old class 66 machine to get the larger wheel. New spoke-type hand wheels are available (most domestic sewing machine repairmen stock them - $10-15), although I've noticed that some of the guys making them have a little trouble getting the center hole "centered". Most of them work pretty well anyway, but some of them wobble.

CD in Oklahoma

thayerrags.com

uote name='cdthayer' date='17 November 2009 - 06:25 AM' timestamp='1258457137' post='131347']

Put a larger handwheel on it. If it's got the basic small disc-type wheel on it that most electric 99s came out with, a larger spoke-type wheel is an easy conversion. The larger wheel will give it a little more momentum, similar to adding a flywheel to a system.

Changing wheels is a common conversion, and necessary to create a 99 handcrank using after-market parts that are now available (the handcranks require a spoked wheel for the "finger" to operate the wheel). I know you're not wanting to go handcrank, but the larger wheels have the belt groove like the smaller wheels, and you'll like the larger wheel for those times when you still need to help a little by handTh

Best choice is to find an old class 66 machine to get the larger wheel. New spoke-type hand wheels are available (most domestic sewing machine repairmen stock them - $10-15), although I've noticed that some of the guys making them have a little trouble getting the center hole "centered". Most of them work pretty well anyway, but some of them wobble.

CD in Oklahoma

thayerrags.com

Thanks so much, I did not Know u can do that to a little Singer 99, bigger hanswheel makes sense....

Always something to learn!!

Again, tnx

James

Hi James, have you found a solution?

I have an old Singer 99K too. It was handed down in my family and I ended up with it because nobody else wanted it. I have used it for lots of projects, and after the motor was greased it is fast and strong enough for my leather projects. With a leather needle it sews two layers of fairly thick hard leather with no problem. Mostly I sew only one layer of the thick hard leather and then use a softer leather that folds around, that sort of gives two or three layers depending on what's needed.

This was originally a hand operated machine bought new in 1933, and then a few years later was fitted with a electrical motor and every thing standard for domestic machines at the time. The motor is old, and probably far from the strongest and I would think a stronger motor would make a big difference in strength. I think there should be stronger motors available made in the 60's and 70's that easily fits this model.

New grease in the motor made a big difference here, I don't know if you have checked this with yours. I like my machine as it is, and hesitate to alter the appearance of it.

Hi James, have you found a solution?

I have an old Singer 99K too. It was handed down in my family and I ended up with it because nobody else wanted it. I have used it for lots of projects, and after the motor was greased it is fast and strong enough for my leather projects. With a leather needle it sews two layers of fairly thick hard leather with no problem. Mostly I sew only one layer of the thick hard leather and then use a softer leather that folds around, that sort of gives two or three layers depending on what's needed.

This was originally a hand operated machine bought new in 1933, and then a few years later was fitted with a electrical motor and every thing standard for domestic machines at the time. The motor is old, and probably far from the strongest and I would think a stronger motor would make a big difference in strength. I think there should be stronger motors available made in the 60's and 70's that easily fits this model.

New grease in the motor made a big difference here, I don't know if you have checked this with yours. I like my machine as it is, and hesitate to alter the appearance of it.

Hello

Thanks for the info, My motor was very weak to begin with and I opted for a new very strong 1.5 Amp motor from Toledo industrial sewingmachines!!

That thing now is eating everything up that u dare to put under the pressure foot!!! This is not a industrial sewingmachione but a hard working jewel in my book...I also changed the handwheel to the bigger spoked one!! Made also a boig difference....and when u need a little help with ur hand then that bigger wheel comes in handy....here are two pictures of the new, old, Singer 99K !!!

Greetings

James

Good to hear it's not only I who are holding on to these old machines. With an industrial motor I imagine that it tackles just about any challenge. The old motor might have been worn out after all these years. I didn't find any "after" picture, but I found the "before", and it looks great. It looks like you have the 40's or 50's model that allowed more easily adjustment of stitch length, and sew back and forward, a nice advantage. So far all I ever needed when sewing leather was straight forward, and a few bends and curves now and then :-)

Good to hear it's not only I who are holding on to these old machines. With an industrial motor I imagine that it tackles just about any challenge. The old motor might have been worn out after all these years. I didn't find any "after" picture, but I found the "before", and it looks great. It looks like you have the 40's or 50's model that allowed more easily adjustment of stitch length, and sew back and forward, a nice advantage. So far all I ever needed when sewing leather was straight forward, and a few bends and curves now and then :-)

I guess I forgot to add the "after" pictures...LOL...sorry...here are they...hope you can tell....the new BLACK motor....and the beautiful larger Handwheel...I love this little 99K!!!

If you need any help on urs, please call Bob Kovar from Toledo industrial sewing machines...866-3627-397....he was super big help on this matter and he carries the No 18 leather sewing machine needles for just a few bucks!! Very nice guy, check him out!!!

Greetings and let me know if I can help...

James

Oh, thank's

I'm looking for needles with a large enough eye for a bit thinker tread. The only leather needle I can get here is numbered "90/14". If you say number 18 fits this machine I'll go for that one. The hole in the plate is rather small and I suppose some needles get to large for this machine? So far I've mostly used a leather needles that came with the machine but I've managed to bend it, and there's no number.

Funny, I never expected to find anyone using the same machine I have. I went into a sewing shop for tread and bobbins they asked really patronising "would you not like to change it iin for a newer model?" lol. I checked my machine, and the motor is only 0.5 amp, but it sews through anything that fits under the pressure foot, which is rather limited.

Oh, thank's

I'm looking for needles with a large enough eye for a bit thinker tread. The only leather needle I can get here is numbered "90/14". If you say number 18 fits this machine I'll go for that one. The hole in the plate is rather small and I suppose some needles get to large for this machine? So far I've mostly used a leather needles that came with the machine but I've managed to bend it, and there's no number.

You will certainly be able to buy #18 leatherpoint needles for that machine, but you may also need to drill the hole in the plate a bit larger, to clear the bigger needles. You will need to remove the burr from the opposite side from where the drill bit enters.

I have some #20 needles that I found online, for a Singer 15-91 home machine. It allows me to sew #92 thread with ease. This is not my main machine, just an extra I had before I bought a walking foot machine.

Oh, thank's

Number 18 will fit fine into the hole, 20 may needs to be drilled...Me using 69 thread only, because it fits the bobbin well....u can use 69 on bottom and a 20 needle for 92 on top....but I think it is overkill for this machine!!

Greetings

James

I shall have to use it for this type of thread then. I don't use it for the thickest of leathers, only for the fabrics and leathers it takes easily. I also have a Bernina with a much stronger motor that has room for more layers under the pressure foot, and the needle situation is much the same for both of them, I shall have to order from Bob :-)

Something is acting up with my internet, it is veeeeeeeery slow and I have problems downloading from leaterworker.net. I have direct link to this thread and it is the only one that loads. Thing will hopefully be back to normal after the weekend.

Hi there, new to this site and glad to find it! I'm working on updating my 99K too. Any suggestions on where to find the larger spoked hand crank wheels you guys are talking about? I'd love to update this machine a little as opposed to buying something else. Thanks!

Hi there, new to this site and glad to find it! I'm working on updating my 99K too. Any suggestions on where to find the larger spoked hand crank wheels you guys are talking about? I'd love to update this machine a little as opposed to buying something else. Thanks!

Hello

Got my big spoked wheel from Bob at Toledo sewing machines in Ohio....also have a handcrank for it from e-bay...I think Bob has them too...call and ask him...,he is super nice!!

Greetings

Jimbob

quote name='Jimbob' timestamp='1283725006' post='165646']

Hello

Got my big spoked wheel from Bob at Toledo sewing machines in Ohio....also have a handcrank for it from e-bay...I think Bob has them too...call and ask him...,he is super nice!!

Greetings

Jimbob

Awesome. Thanks so much, I'll shoot him a call tomorrow.

Tim

:thankyou:

Hi guys

I have just acquired one of these little beauties ,however I'm having some difficulty s , sometimes the needle doesn't hit the whole were the needle goes through , the machine jams suddenly or the. Cotton breaks its been converted to a hand crank by previous person who had it .i just started my first tote bag but its messing the leather up as the thread gathers underneath then having to unpick the stitching re sew the leather is looking more like a tea bag than a tote lol any advice would be appreciated

By the way the first thing I did when I got it was tighten all the wobbly bits like screws ect on crank mechanism and oiled it

Is the needle bent? Is it inserted correctly in the needle bar mounting hole?

Bunched up thread under the cloth usually results from either too much bobbin tension, or too little top tension, maybe caused by incorrectly threading the machine on top. Are you feeding the thread through the check spring, then up and down from the take-up lever?

If I recall, these machines may be belt driven. If the belt has stretched, your timing will be out.

Are you trying to sew cloth, or leather? This is not a leather sewing machine.

put a regular needle in it, with household weight thread- and then sew some denim. Adjust your tension as needed. I suspect you have either a tension issue, or a problem with your threading. Oil the machine every few hours of solid use. If it has a red felt oil wick by the bobbin, make sure the wick is saturated with oil. Often, people unfamiliar with 99s & 66s will remove these because they think the little felt wad is lint. Let me know if you need a repair manual.

Hi guys I'm a complete newb to the sewing machine so I followed a lady on YouTube. Who showed how to thread the machine as for felt pad I didn't notice one but always oil the machine before I use it .

I will try your suggestions and report back ASAP thanks for taking the time to reply

Hi, I read this thread a whille back and would really like to add a spoked handwheel to my motorised 99k. I've bought the spoked handwheel, but to fit it needs a smaller belt. Can anyone advise how I figure out the belt size? And once I have the belt, is it pretty simple to just swap the wheel and the belt over? Many thanks!

Hi, I read this thread a whille back and would really like to add a spoked handwheel to my motorised 99k. I've bought the spoked handwheel, but to fit it needs a smaller belt. Can anyone advise how I figure out the belt size? And once I have the belt, is it pretty simple to just swap the wheel and the belt over? Many thanks!

Yes; buy a stretch belt that has enough stretch range to go around the flywheel and motor pulley.

Edited by Wizcrafts

18g leather needles should be pretty common.

Oh, thank's

Move the motor all the way up and the measure the belt length with a piece of string.

I have about 10 sizes of belt

Darren

Goulburn NSW

0415 353 748