I've been doing rather well sewing with my Boss...until today. Problems started when I changed thread. I had been using one of the large purchased spools from Tippmann and switched back to the white thread that came with the machine. I immediately noticed that the standard tension adjustments on the needle thread (2 rev on the secondary and 1 1/2 rev on the primary) resulted in quite a bit more tension. Finally, I thought I had my thread tensions balanced. Now, I'm getting inconsistent tension. For a few inches, everything seems fine. Then, the bobbin thread isn't being pulled in to the leather. I'm being very careful moving the handle completely up and down. I'm stumped.

Jeff

Jeff

Did you purchase the large spools in Poly? Tippmann sends Nylon with the machines. The poly requirs less tension. Also are the thread sizes the same?

Both are Nylon 277. The white just acts weird. Along one run of a couple of inches, all except one stitch will look okay. That one will have the needle thread visible on the bottom. One one holster I had about eight inches of stitches. The first half was fine. One the second half, the needle thread didn't pull the bobbin thread into the leather.

Jeff

Jeff

Did you ever check your thread take up arm for movement as I suggested in an earlier response on another post of yours. Hold the stitching lever all the way forward firmly and try pushing down on your thread take up arm. It should not move even a little bit.. The only other thing I can think of would be an unevenly wound bobbin ie: one that looks like an egg narrow on the ends and big in the middle puts extra tension on the bobbin thread as it goes over the hump.

The first thing I did was read that older thread. I checked the takeup arm and there was absolutely no movement when the handle was held firmly back. I always attempt to wind a bobbin perfectly. It only lasts a layer or two but I attempt to keep the thread even, without any bumps.

The occasional tight bobbin thread due to increased tension due to winding makes sense.