Sign in to follow this  
Bob

Recovering Blevins buckle slider

How many times have you made a nice saddle and then put on the Bleven's buckles and the leather don't match at all. I've heard that some have changed the leather covers on these. But how is it done? What tools are required? Anyone know?

bob

Bob it is pretty easy. We replace worn ones all the time. I just drill out the old rivets, cut new leather and reinstall with alum. pop rivets. Done. Ronny

What I have done is use # 12 copper rivets, I like using the metal sliders and coveering them myself. I can put the rivet were I want and do not have to try to find the holes that are already there. Although just use a awl to find the holes, punch one side first and insert rivets. I use a 2" or so of metal flat stock the same thickness as the inside of the slider, this is the anvil for the rivets. The rivets, I trim so they are maybe a fraction longer than the leather and slider. Hammer rivets, there won't be much of a backing on the rivet but you don't need much. The leather should be a little wet for abit of a stretch. The leather shoould be log also so you can pull it and mark were you want the holes I use 3 rivets both sides. Punch the leather than mark the slide and drill the same size as the #12 rivets( I don't know what that is off the top of my head) I use barge cement on the flat side of the slider and the leather, let the cement dry. then lay the leather and put in the other side rivets and fassen, just like the first side, you can them trim the leather. Just like brand new with leather that will oil up the same as your sturip leathers. I hope this was not confusing. Lee Jr

"I use a 2" or so of metal flat stock the same thickness as the inside of the slider, this is the anvil for the rivets. "

This is simmilar to what I do. I've made a piece of steel for the anvil that has a small dimple made with a 3/16s drill bit to peen the rivet initially. Then I follow up with the non dimpled part of the anvil to planish the rivet flat. This allows for a little more meat from the rivet.