JerseyFirefighter

Rubber Mat Suggestion For Crystal Rivet Setting?

Hey folks.. I wonder if you happen to have a suggestion for finding a rubber mat locally for setting decorative rivets. I see the Tandy kit has a concave rivet setter (same one I have for double cap rivets yes?) and a rubber mat. Since the photos are all of lower quality im not sure what type of rubber I should be looking for (thickness, hardness, etc). I guess I could buy the kit but it seems silly to have duplicate setters all for the sake of a small rubber mat. Thanks!

I cannot answer about the rubber but I can tell you I normally use a very thick piece of veggie tan to do the job. Just be sure to face the crystal down into the leather.

I have no problem setting crystal rivets with my hand press. Just use enough pressure to set the rivet, but not crush the crystal.

You can use a regular Poundo Board, the ones we put under our slabs. They do a great job on Crystal Rivets.

Chief

post-6362-0-10784700-1435863924_thumb.jp

I cannot answer about the rubber but I can tell you I normally use a very thick piece of veggie tan to do the job. Just be sure to face the crystal down into the leather.

Im not sure why I didnt think of that. Thank you very much. I guess when shopping for the tool my mind shifted towards the notion that I needed a rubber mat.

You can use a regular Poundo Board, the ones we put under our slabs. They do a great job on Crystal Rivets.

Chief

Also a great suggestion. Im gonna have to look and see if I can find anything local. Thank you as well.

I have successfully used a piece of softwood like pine, and with a countersink drill bit, made an appropriate sized hole to hold the crystal. The advantage over rubber or veg tanned is that the crystal is kept in an upright position whilst hammering on the rivet backing.

Cheers,

Lois

Two suggestions: an old tire and a hockey puck. Though hockey pucks are not that strong, at least the "hard" black ones. I tried to put it between the jack and a car body and the puck crumbled.