I was reading and watching a lot on shoe and boot making. I wanted to get into making my first pair of dress shoes or chukka boots but where I am having trouble is with the lasts. I don't know what model/style or size to get plus where to get them from. If anyone has any helpful knowledge or insights it'll be great.

Neil.

Bootlast.com

That's a good place to start at least. If you're not sure what you should get, just give them a call and describe what you're doing; they're very friendly and they'll help you find what you need. I was in pretty much the same boat about 3 or 4 months ago: read a bunch about shoemaking, watched the Andrew Wrigley series on YouTube, started looking for and pricing materials, I even started with a chukka.

After making a few shoes on their lasts my only complaint is that the toe is a little bit narrow and pointy, but Bootlast are the only lastmakers (in the U.S.) that I was able to find who actually make their own lasts and can provide an entire range of sizes in the same style so I guess you've gotta take the good with the bad. I should also mention that they make their lasts on a copy lathe, so if you happen to come across an old pair that you like on e-bay or in an antique store and they're too beat up to use you can send them to Bootlast and they'll make you a brand new copy in plastic.

If you're interested, I documented the process of making my first two shoes here: http://lordpoint.wordpress.com/

While I'm not really much further along than you are I'd gladly help in whatever way I could. If you have any other questions just send me a PM.

Thank you for your input. I am going to get in touch with that last company soon. This week I should be getting some cobbler tools from ebay in the mail. So when all those arrive, it's just getting the leather and off on the adventure I go.

Hi. I find the easiest way to get the correct size last is to get someone to trace both feet (most feet are different sizes). Use a thin pen or shave the side of a pencil so you are not including the size of the pencil in your tracing. If you can get to a place that sells lasts then it is simply a matter of holding the last against the tracing to get the correct size. If you are buying on-line then you can measure the length of you foot and use a size conversion chart. Allow about 10mm extra in the toe. I struggle with width sizing as I cant seem to find a chart that converts width. In regards to the style, I would suggest a classic men's style as a starter. I tend to choose my styles based on the shape of the toe. I too am just starting out. But there is nothing more rewarding than putting on a pair of shoes you have made yourself! Good luck!!