Sign in to follow this  
Timbo

When drilling a tree for strings.........

.........what size bit do you use??? ....and do you drill thru all the layers of leather including the skirt??

One other thing while I have your attention. What do you use to rough up the tree before putting the glue and leather to it?? and will Barge glue be okay to use where I need glue??

I'm fixin' to dive in and just had a few more questions.

Thanks,

Tim

Timbo, I use a 3/8 drill bit. I do drill through all layers of leather except the skirts only because I do not want to drill into the carpet on my stand. I do not rough up my tree. I was thought by John Willemsma that by doing that it will weaken the tree and will show up years from now. Barge glue should work just fine. Dave Beagle

sandpaper works for giving the glue a little roughness to grab to. You are wanting to rough up the finish not the actual rawhide.

If I drill for strings The drill bit size may vary 5/16 - 3/8. If you are using heavy strings go bigger.

I drill when everything is fitted and in place temperally so that I drill my skirts before they are lined. There are as many ways to do this as there are saddlemakers!!

Barge will work although I use regular contact cement.

Edited by AndyKnight

Thanks for the replies guys!!!

So for the string to pass thru I need to drill 2 3/8" holes. I'm guessing probably 3/8 to 1/2" apart?? Any more tips you can give will be much appreciated.

thanks again,

Tim

Hi Tim,

the space between the holes depends on what size rosettes you are using... punch holes evenly spaced apart in your top and bottom rosettes and then use one to mark the spacing on the tree.

I do the same as Andy when it comes to roughing up the finish on the tree I use sandpaper. If you can find a store that sells autobody supplies, they sell a paper that is 50 grit. It usually comes in 5" circles and is very abrasive and durable; I've been using the same piece for about a year now.

Darc

Hi Tim. Roughing up the finish depends on the finish. Gloss finishes often need it because the glue will not stick well. Trees with a matte finish (like we use) generally don't need to be roughed up for the glue to stick. Some of my customers still scuff it up. Others don't and report that the glue sticks just fine. The finish is what protects the rawhide from moisture, so scuffing it removes some of that protection. If you don't have to scuff it up, please don't.

Thank you everyone for all the great advice!!! I can't wait to get started.

Tim