Sign in to follow this  
KatieG

Watercolor Leather

Leather_83___hip_purse_2_by_SchuldigTheRed.jpg

Messed up flap for a hip purse so I decided to use it for color test. smile.gif

I really love playing with washes and gradients in color... and this tutorial ( [link] ) on DeviantArt really inspired me.

Rose by Al Stohlman, flair in carving by me... I'm not traditional, I'm not realistic.. so I'm trying to combine my style... with existing designs, until I get used to how more realistic things work. :)

Rose: several wash layers of red and water. Towards the end I mixed in some purple.

Stem and Leaves: several washes of various mixes of green, yellow, and light brown. I don't know the ratio, I go by looks. I went in variants of layers to get depth.

I used white as a highlight, like light or dew... I love how this works, and can't wait to run amuck with it some more!!! <3

Left to go: Spray seal of leather sheen then an antique with Sheridan Brown

Work time: about 2.25hours. ^,^.v

Hope you like it!! <3

post-8671-1243393812_thumb.jpg

Thats really good and I would not have thought to use water colors on leather. I guess you gotta remember its just a medium to use.

Nicely done.

I do wonder how well the water colors will stand up for something that is used. I know alot of them are water proof once dried and they should soak into the leather pretty good. Hmmm

Actually my method has been to use Leather Sheen to seal to seal the color, then I can color over it with a perfect resist. ^_~.

great coloring, i like how looks, nice job

maddhatter

Thank you very much. :)

I have questions, assuming you are talking about artists watercolors...:

1) :dunno: How will this hold up as far as fading in light? (Most artwork, water color included, is recommended to be kept out of direct sunlight or away from strong lights- leather, however, is routinely exposed to strong light, especially purses & cycle seats.)

2) How will watercolors react to the leather:

:dunno: [a] in the short term, and, more importantly,

:dunno: over the long term ? (Remember, leather is more acidic than most papers, and artwork watercolor paper is archival {pH neutral??})

The reason I pose these questions is that, in my experimentation with various paints, dyes & coloring agents not specifically developed for leather, I have found several substances that, over time, (actually in a relatively short time) reacted with the leather & discolored to the point of unuseability.

You don't want to color something & then months later, find, to your dismay, that the item is ruined because the coloring agent had a bad and irreversible reaction/interaction with the leather's tannins. (Ask me how I know.) Just something to think about.

russ

Edited by whinewine

Well, for the watercolors, I'm actually just washing out the EcoFlo paints from Tandy, since they are already water-based. I have items that I've used them on that are over a year old and are still holding true. Im still coloring with them as if they were watercolors, and using the techniques used in watercolor paintings. (I think I was just redundant there, I'm sorry.)

And, of course, sealing helps.

Probably should have mentioned to start which paints I was using, but since people seem to prefer to pooh-pooh Tandy's stuff, I kept quiet about it. I'd rather be judged on my work and not my supplies.