I know every leather worker has a different method of finishing, so I will try to keep it more general. I don't tool (yet) but I used some antique to dye a project, and then used tan cote on top of it for a sealant, not knowing it thins antique, hello streaky end product that I spend hours on. So I have got to figure out a decent finish technique, but I have so many products, and not a clue what most of them actually do.

What is resolene? What dyes can I use it with? Same with Tan Cote, I know now I don't want to use it with antique, for my purposes, but will it thin ALL water based dyes? I also have some super sheene laying around. Basically, I have an assortment of products and I am not real sure how to use what with which. If there is a general rule, aka only use X with Y type dyes, I would love to hear it.

Someone else brought up waxes. Am I supposed to be using that too? :surrender:

I'm overwhelmed here. Long story short, I want a nice finish, and no real idea how to achieve that.

Help me gurus?

post-61809-0-42281900-1436479844_thumb.j

Only,

Here's what I've learned from years or working wood. Each piece is different, each piece takes dye, finish, and sanding different. There is the beauty of the medium, leather is the same. I for one like the scars and fat wrinkles as well as the different hues each piece takes on.

Here is a book I bought and it has taken the mystery out of a lot of the different finishes and what is compatible with what. its mainly about coloring for pictorial carvings but the information applies to dying leather and dying leather is dying leather.

There is a chart in the back that explains what works with what.

The book is 32 pages

"The main technique of coloring leather"

By Peter Main

Here is a sample from that book.

post-53835-0-00673000-1436482424_thumb.j

I never gave that a thought. I bought a pile of stuff on EBay and it was included. That being said I can't find it anywhere on the net. I'm shocked since it is one of the more helpful books on the subject. I guess you'll have to watch eBay for a copy.

I have the one by Al Stohlman from 1985 called coloring leather but I find Peter Mains to be a better reference on compatibility.

0-9578802-2-7 Is the ISBN number for a Google search.

Did anyone find a copy of this book? I looked but couldn't find it anywhere.

Did anyone find a copy of this book? I looked but couldn't find it anywhere.

Ask Peter at http://www.petermain.com/parent.htm under the publication pull down menu and use the email address given at: petergmain@msn.com

Bob Stelmack