Hello.You have made very good work! I read the forum hours and hours to find answers to my questions that i have in my mind.

I am in early beginning and i am planning to make leather straps. I bought cowhide leather at my first step.From what i have written in your forum i understood that the leather that i bought is chrome veg. tanned. My questions are:

1).I woulld like to make my straps to look more vintage like this:
IMG_558854a97980c325e_1920x1280.jpg

At the clean chrome veg tanned leather that i bought from the shop what product can i use as to make it more vintage as in pic above. I have read here that there are paintings DYE and STAIN.

Which of the two paintings are for my case? or anything of these are suitable in my case.

Can you recommend me any product which work well with chrome veg. tanned leathers?

Which is the difference between DYE and STAIN? Are there others products?

2).For black edges i read that they put black fiebing edge kote.Is it correct?

Αt the end the black edges as to not discolor on my wrist or on myclothes, is necessary to put tan kote or resolene? These products work well with chrome veg.tanned?Any suggestions?

3).For chrome veg. tanned leather which finishing products or methods work well as to not have problems such as stains on my wrist?

I have read on forum that resolene does not work well with chrome veg tanned leathers.Is it true?

Which product can i use for finishing as to not have problems to paint my wrist from strap color but also to keep the natural look of the leather (leather color)?

4).With which pen or painting or other product can i write on chrome veg. tanned leather without problems?For example as ''74'' or ''10''in pics below
u7uq99ce.jpg

jxkxcy3t.jpg

5).I read for the creaser tool but i could not find some actually tool to make these black lines near the edges.Are the lines of the strap below burning or painted?
11109017_1044243762259960_57858540506871
IMG_2415.jpg

Can you suggest me one tool that it make this result as in pic? I would like to be value for money.

6).For the glue: Which is your opinion to use classic toxic glues or waterbased contact sement? Iam from Europe can you tell a good product that i can find in Europe's eshop.I would like a reliable glue.

Thank you very much for your time.

I appreciate your help.

I hope to make a good discussion that it will help me.

1. Looks like the finish was put on with an airbrush to look "splotchy" like that. Then a light clear coat was applied. Once it was dry, bent backwards to get those wrinkles. Edges aren't finished, probably just died dark brown.

2. The edges in your pictures do not look finished - at most they are just dyed a darker color

3. I have never used chrome veg tanned leathers, so I can't offer any insight.

4. You need a fade resistant / UV protected felt tip marker - a regular Sharpie brand marker is not UV resistant and if exposed to sunlight or UV light over time will fade.

5. You can case that leather like tooling leather, you can use a stitch groover with a smooth blade or something with an edge guide to put that line on.

6. Ive had less than satisfactory results with waterbased contact cement, so I use Weldwood original formula contact cement on bigger projects and 3M super 77 spray adhesive for smaller projects.

1. Looks like the finish was put on with an airbrush to look "splotchy" like that. Then a light clear coat was applied. Once it was dry, bent backwards to get those wrinkles. Edges aren't finished, probably just died dark brown.

2. The edges in your pictures do not look finished - at most they are just dyed a darker color

3. I have never used chrome veg tanned leathers, so I can't offer any insight.

4. You need a fade resistant / UV protected felt tip marker - a regular Sharpie brand marker is not UV resistant and if exposed to sunlight or UV light over time will fade.

5. You can case that leather like tooling leather, you can use a stitch groover with a smooth blade or something with an edge guide to put that line on.

6. Ive had less than satisfactory results with waterbased contact cement, so I use Weldwood original formula contact cement on bigger projects and 3M super 77 spray adhesive for smaller projects.

Hello again , I am very happy because you answered me. As you see there is not huge participation :(

I try to learn.. and i read at internet but i didn't find answers for all.

1)For chrome veg.tanned leather that i use which exactly products can i use as to have this result?

I have read that fiebing dye pro paints penetrate inside the leather , so maybe this is not for me because i want just vintage feeling ,not totaly dye ,because my leather are chrome from tannieries.

(fiebing dye pro: http://www.macphersonleather.com/fiebing%20products/DYES.jpg )

Maybe do i make this result with stains? or maybe with fiebing antique paste?

(stains: https://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-fh5bypft/products/1096/images/2653/Medium_Brown_Stain_2607_14__16030.1408450376.220.290.jpg?c=2 )

(antique finish: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415MpPHvQWL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg )

additionally i found and other paint ,that write on its label that it is antique stain.

( http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EcGYyXU2L._SY355_.jpg )

Iam confused because i don't know what exactly each of these products do and the most important if they work well with my chrome , veg tanned leathers that i have.

2. You told me that the edges at pictures maybe is painted. Ok , but with which product do i use as to not let stains (discolor) on my wrist ,clothes etc? I have read that there is one painting for edges: Fiebing adge kote. (black-brown)

( https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4rlh64-GFO7MhLiZ0WnNYlksGf-AmzRIkhoxMwBcogRVFAL0L0g )

Is it suitable for chrome leathers? After is it necessary to put resolene?

3) I have problem with finishing products. Iam confused.

First i take the chrome veg. tanned leather , then i put some paints/colours etc that you recommend me as to make it to look more vintage style , and for finish which product can i use as to not discolor all these on my wrist?

Tan kote? resolene? something oil? what , i don't have any idea which one works well with chrome veg. tanned leathers.

Please help me. :notworthy: (but the finish product I don't want to change the leather color for example to make it dark ,plastic etc)

4)one question... these leathers , chrome veg. tanned leathers when i take them from tannieres is there any case to discolor on somebody wrist as watch straps? Is it necessary to put some finish product? I have read about one spray product but as you see on the pics , i want the result to have natural look and not as ''plastic''

5)Do you know any exactly brand with pens that they are fade resistant / UV protected felt tip marker. You will help me very much.

6) for the edges crease black lines which exactly tool must buy?

7)For the glue. I am from Europe so i don't have many choices. I find on ebay the red weldwood from USA , and there are two versions normal and gel. One red and one green package. Which one may i buy? (they are very expensive because only the shipping cost is 28 dollars , do you know other good brand from Europe?)

What is your opinion , i need this glue for watch straps , so toxic or not toxic is more suitable to use?

I do not want to have any allergy on my wrist.

I know that i ask you many questions but i do not have other way to find the answers so thank you very much for your time.I appreciate it.

Edited by backtobasic

I have never used chrome vegtan leather, so I am affraid I can't help with that.

Dye - penetrates deep into the leather and gives a deep rich color

stain - sits on top of the leather and the color isn't as rich and full in my opinion

Acrylic paints are used to give solid(opaque) colors

Antiques - just fill crevices or low spots with dark color.

I don't think any of those edges are painted - at most they are dyed or stained

To prevent colors from bleeding or rubbing off on to skin, you need to apply a clear coat. Products like resolene, super sheen, tan kote all work for that.

Oil - used to preserve the leather or make it softer/more supple. I put it on before I apply finishes, and let it sit overnight so that it soaks evenly through the leather. Just a few light coats. You don't want to soak the leather with oil.

Leather straight from the tannery - colors will bleed when they get wet.

I do not know what brand of pens are available in your country. I buy my stuff from local office supply stores/art stores. They specifically say on the packaging that they are fade and UV resistant.

Both red weldwood ( original and gel) work great. The gel is not as messy to apply, in my opinion. It doesn't string out like hot cheese. The green can is water based, and I don't like it. Once the glues are dry, I can't forsee any problems.

Picture one might also be burnt with a heat gun to get that color too, but you can accomplish it with an air brush.

Thank you very much for your time and your answer!
1)So in my case the stains and maybe and the antique are more ok for this vintage look strap. Correct?
I understood what are stains and antiques paste.Thank you.
But I found one product at on its label is written stain and antique:
antiqueacrylicstain.jpg
What is exctly this product?Which is the difference between this one and stains and antique paste?

2)I want to paint the edges as when they are raw.I do not have problem to be smooth but i prefer more rough-vintage style.So my problem is when i cut my edges and then i put on edges fiebing black edge kote. I leave it for 24hours to dry and then when i rub them with one fabric the black painting discolor.I have read that the edge kote is waterproof and for this reason it must not discolor.What is my fault? I try to put tan kote over and let it to be dry but again when the fabric is a little wet the black color leave black stains on fabric.

What is your opinion to try resolene?If yes, to put it 50%resolene and 50% water? or 100%resolene?

What else can i put as to not discolor?

3)Additionally, when i buy my leathers and i put tan kote for finishing but i have these problems.First the painting of the leather from tanniery discolor little on the fabric that i have the tan kote.I afraid of making stain on wrist.Second, the color of strap becomes more dark.

4)Can you recommend any good edge creaser tool?

5)So for glue you suggest me the red one.

6)Finally,please if you can tell me the brand of your pen. I look on ebay and maybe i will find it.

Thanks for all and for your huge help.

Edited by backtobasic

1)So in my case the stains and maybe and the antique are more ok for this vintage look strap. Correct?

antiqueacrylicstain.jpg

What is exctly this product?Which is the difference between this one and stains and antique paste?

That product will color the leather the color onthe label, and it will fill in low spots with a dark paste to highlight them. It will not give you the look of the watch straps you pictured

2)I want to paint the edges as when they are raw.I do not have problem to be smooth but i prefer more rough-vintage style.So my problem is when i cut my edges and then i put on edges fiebing black edge kote. I leave it for 24hours to dry and then when i rub them with one fabric the black painting discolor.I have read that the edge kote is waterproof and for this reason it must not discolor.What is my fault? I try to put tan kote over and let it to be dry but again when the fabric is a little wet the black color leave black stains on fabric.

What is your opinion to try resolene?If yes, to put it 50%resolene and 50% water? or 100%resolene?

I don't use resolene, so I can't help you much there. I use Mop N Glo mixed with water.

3)Additionally, when i buy my leathers and i put tan kote for finishing but i have these problems.First the painting of the leather from tanniery discolor little on the fabric that i have the tan kote.I afraid of making stain on wrist.Second, the color of strap becomes more dark.

I don't use a creasing tools, so I can't help

Yes

6)Finally,please if you can tell me the brand of your pen. I look on ebay and maybe i will find it.

I don't have a Pen on hand to look to see what the brand is

antiqueacrylicstain.jpg

That product will color the leather the color onthe label, and it will fill in low spots with a dark paste to highlight them. It will not give you the look of the watch straps you pictured

I don't use resolene, so I can't help you much there. I use Mop N Glo mixed with water.

I don't use a creasing tools, so I can't help

Yes

I don't have a Pen on hand to look to see what the brand is

Thank you for your help and your time!!!!! Have a great weekend!!!

I have a question! I recently cut belt straps using 10-10oz veg tanned leather. I used saddle tan oil dye. I then began burnished the edges with a sponge dipped in water. I in adverts fly driped some water on the face of the leather belt of which caus do the leather to discolor and even added a little bit of a divot in the leather. After waiting to see if the water would disappear,I was disappointed to see that it had not. From here I added Resolene in the hopes that this would provide enough of a color change to hide the blemish. When this did not work, I changed the color to black using pro dye over the dried Resolene. Will the Black pro dye adhere to the leather face and if so can I add Resolene over the black pro dye once dried. These water marks are a real pain. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.