Jimbob

Mallet?

Been tinkering around and wondering if a man can make a mallet.....some are rawhide, poly and wood...what material can u use, what style....? And of course how!!!

Any help would be great.

I like to use it foremost to stamp and use it for punches and setters!!

What plastic (Poly or Nylon would I use)....?

I have a wood lace...can a man make a wood mallet or is this to hard of a blow r stamping??

Again thanks for all info

Greetings

James

Here is one that Big Papa Leather help me out with. The wood came from Woodcraft and profiled down without a lathe. The poly came from a plastics company. Bolt from Lowe's. Rubbergaskets came from Home Depot (in 6x6" sheet in plumbing section cut into circles). I pretty much put a gasket where any thing met that was not like substance. It came out really nice and quiet.

Good luck.

1114092012.jpg

post-6330-126507939717_thumb.jpg

Here is one that Big Papa Leather help me out with. The wood came from Woodcraft and profiled down without a lathe. The poly came from a plastics company. Bolt from Lowe's. Rubbergaskets came from Home Depot (in 6x6" sheet in plumbing section cut into circles). I pretty much put a gasket where any thing met that was not like substance. It came out really nice and quiet.

Good luck.

Thanks so much, I was thinking something along that line...what "plastic" did u use?? And where can a man get this item??

Looks good, bet this custom mallet of urs works well!!!

James

For some reason, my BK make a loud ping when it is struck. They have always been that way and trying to tool in the cloak of darkness (since my work area is in the master bedroom) is kinda hard to keep the nose down. So I made sure I used those gaskets. I am getting replace the two current BK with something else (unknown yet) and it somewhat of a heartache after BearMan made such beautiful handles for it, but that ping does not work well in a large room. Now, this maul, is quite, man no matter hard hard I hit it.....it is quiet.

As for the plastic, I would suggest you PM Big Papa Leather for a direct answer. Depending on what I get for my BK's it might bring me close to buying one of BearMan person mauls.

Alright you all I'm gone.

Hello,

I am old and tired tonight! What does the BK mean?

I am in the process of getting some material together to make a mallet for myself. So far I have a small brass bearing ( by small I mean it is about 3" OD) that I am going to turn down on the lathe to get rid of the threads on the OD. Then I will get some Delrin to put on the outside. I then will fit end caps and use all thread to pull it together and attach the handle material to it.

Your mallet looks great.

Regards,

Fred

For some reason, my BK make a loud ping when it is struck. They have always been that way and trying to tool in the cloak of darkness (since my work area is in the master bedroom) is kinda hard to keep the nose down. So I made sure I used those gaskets. I am getting replace the two current BK with something else (unknown yet) and it somewhat of a heartache after BearMan made such beautiful handles for it, but that ping does not work well in a large room. Now, this maul, is quite, man no matter hard hard I hit it.....it is quiet.

As for the plastic, I would suggest you PM Big Papa Leather for a direct answer. Depending on what I get for my BK's it might bring me close to buying one of BearMan person mauls.

Alright you all I'm gone.