Johnniga

Singer 29K 71

Hello everybody.

I just got an old 29K71 (serial # suggests built in 1952) from a friend who had it years ago from an old cobbler. The guy never used it and the old cobbler is gone, so there's no live aid I can get.

I bought manuals on-line, they are very clear and well done, but not of much help in my case.

The machine looks beautiful and runs smoothly but I can't get stiches as long as they should be.

The clamp that sets the stitch length is all the way down, it is supposed to be set at 5 stitches per inch, but stitches are barely 3/32" .

Advise would be MUCH appreciated.

Regards

It's probably due to wear in the parts that move the foot. The various parts that move the foot to feed get worn and slop. They also feed a lot shorter the thicker the material you're sewing.

The best explanation I've seen for how the feed works, is this one, by Ken Jerrems:

http://alasdair.muckart.net/files/KenJerrems29k13/KenJerremsSinger29K13.pdf

He shimmed his one up with brass, but brass wears real fast against steel, so if you want to do actual work with it, talk to Bob at Toledo Industrial, and get the relevant parts from him.

Aaaand that @#!@#$!@#! link has broken again. The file is there, honest, my website software is just being a pain.

I'll try and fix it.

It's probably due to wear in the parts that move the foot. The various parts that move the foot to feed get worn and slop. They also feed a lot shorter the thicker the material you're sewing.

The best explanation I've seen for how the feed works, is this one, by Ken Jerrems:

http://alasdair.muck...Singer29K13.pdf

He shimmed his one up with brass, but brass wears real fast against steel, so if you want to do actual work with it, talk to Bob at Toledo Industrial, and get the relevant parts from him.

WOW ! an answer from Aitearoa, we are almost exactly on the opposite side of the earth!

THANKS Amuckart, I'll go through Ken Jerrems's article details when I get back home, but , at first glance, it seems extremely precious.

In the meantime, as I was getting crazy, a couple of days ago I had to take courage and took the head down.

As soon as I flipped it over I realized what the problem was.

(I have taken pictures but Ken's ones at the bottom of page 4 are very clear)

Of the 2 screws mentioned there one was missing and the second one was loose.

The weight of the "wingy" part was pulling it down, thus eating away most of the movement the foot was supposed to do to make its actual step.

I tightened the only screw left, put the head back and there were my 5 stitches per inch.

Now my problem is to find the second screw.

The machine was made in Scotland 60 years ago and, from other comments I have read somewhere on this website ( such as " Singer must have had a tap and screw factory of their own....") I am afraid it won't be easy.

I'll probably post a help-needed post specifically on this subject. Do you have any suggestion?

By the way another thing I will do as soon as I get back home is to go through your website. You should come around here to breath some medieval air. Como was founded by Julius Ceasar around 40 B.C. as a military outpost and in the following 12 centuries it became a beauty. In summer they still do reenactment shows and parades with costumes of the Barbarossa times. Your shoes would be very much appreciated !

We'll keep in touch. Thanks again

You can order the missing screw from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines, in the USA. They have every screw, nut and bolt and part for Singer patchers. Phone info is on the website, as well as an online contact link.

You can order the missing screw from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines, in the USA. They have every screw, nut and bolt and part for Singer patchers. Phone info is on the website, as well as an online contact link.

Thanks Wiz,

I'll get in touch with them.

I am amazed by the way this "Leathercraft Community" works.

Thanks again. Regards