I am a beginner to leatherworking, I just made my first belt last night. The belt was not dyed, I went through all the processes, including edge beveling/burnishing with water, gum trag on the back, finishing with acrylic resolene, and then applying obenaufs leather preservative as a conditioner. My question is, do I really need to apply a finish? I would have liked the belt to be a bit darker, which im sure obenaufs would have achieved, had I not put a finish on before hand. Would just skipping the acrylic resolene finish, and just putting the conditioner on affect anything?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, I wasn't able to find any information on it in the forums.

Thanks.

post-49702-0-52736100-1392592377_thumb.j

Hello.

Finishes are usually applied for both aesthetic and protective qualities.

A finish is usually not necessary, but it just adds a luster to the leather and just conditioner by itself is alright.

A way to darken the leather is to age it by applying neatsfoot oil and let it sit in the sun this will give it a suntan and repeat.

Of course this is my two cents.

Plus that's what I know.

Edited by Micrez

I have a natural strap i'm playing with now, no dye, no resolene, hand rub in Aussie conditioner, then hang up for a sun tan. Then repeat. Im on the 3rd coat/ sun tan, getting darker each time and more water resistant. don't know if there is a point it will stop absorbing Aussie.

I like the way Aussie makes the strap supple, flexible, I guess the cow skin will sun tan like our skin does. wonder how dark it will get?

Hi

I've made a few belts and a holster, but I'm a real newbie in most ways.

I just bought a plain leather tool belt with electrician's pouch. How can I protect the leather without making it soft? I don't know if it is chrome tanned or what. Klein tools if that helps. The package didn't say.

Thanks

Mike

Norman OK

Hi

I emailed Pecard's. They recommended using their Classic Leather Dressing. I also used Gum Tragacanth on the edge It looks pretty much like it did when I bought it now.

Later

Mike

Norman OK