hidepounder

Briefcase / Belt Combo Set

Here are some photos of my latest project. It's my entry in the Trappings of the Amercian West Show which opened today at the Phippen Museum in Prescott, AZ.

The briefcase features an ostrich overlay and a kip interior lining. The lining is fingercarved and has a lined zippered pouch, bus card pockets and pen loops. The divider and accessories pocket are both trimmed with ostrich. The belt is tooled with the same pattern as the briefcase and has ostrich inlays. The belt lining is also finger carved to match the briefcase. The silver belt buckle and the closure on the briefcase were provided by Benny Poulain of Lone Oak, TX. Thanks for the great work, Benny! As always, comments and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!

Bobby

post-7682-029205400 1321124531_thumb.jpg post-7682-006029300 1321124532_thumb.jpg post-7682-045515600 1321124530_thumb.jpg post-7682-061877200 1321124532_thumb.jpg

Edited by hidepounder

.Wow!!! You do absolutely beautiful work. :thumbsup:

In about 60 years or so, my kid';s children will go to the museum and see your work in a display case with the title : American art in its finest, ( WESTERN COWBOY CULTURE IN LEATHER ) .....now exstinct...!

And they will press there nose on the glass and stare at your amazing work.....what is this material Dad????.... is this micro fiber or some sort of molekule max webbing....its awesome!!!

Truly artistic!! Your work will carry the spirit of the West in saddle leather to the year 3000....

james

this is amazing but what is "finger carving" that is a term I have never heard

It's that pretty scroll work bikermama. Like line drawings or calligraphy in leather with no tooling, only blade cuts.

Amazing work. Would love to be at the show and see it .

Congrats on your entry to the Trappings. It's by invitation, right? Juried, or something like that? Yeah, I'm still waiting for that call...... I'm not even on their mailing list.

It kinda looks like you added some thumbprint stamps to the finger carving? Nice touch. Very very nice work. Inspirational, as usual.

Thanks for sharing.

Dadgum......as my college age son says...."That's rank". I'd go so far as to say double rank. Amazing work as always.

Bob, every time I see a new project you do, I think, wow he's outdone himself again! Looks like I am going to have to come up with a new comment for this work! They say that copying someones work/art is the most sincere form of flattery, guess that will be my goal on the next project, and I am going to do it just like yours! ;~)

As always, thanks for posting!

Bob

It kinda looks like you added some thumbprint stamps to the finger carving?

Thanks Brent! I did not use any thumbprints on this one, but I have done that in the past. I really like the way it looks but it's a little more time consuming because you have to be more accurate and consistant with the cuts. You're right, though, adding just a few tools such as thumbprints, vieners, seeders and mules feet can really add interest to finger carving!

Thanks for all the great comments everybody!

Beautiful, as always!!!! Love seeing your work!!

As always Bob, beautiful work!!!

Rick Jorgenson

Thanks Brent! I did not use any thumbprints on this one, but I have done that in the past. I really like the way it looks but it's a little more time consuming because you have to be more accurate and consistant with the cuts. You're right, though, adding just a few tools such as thumbprints, vieners, seeders and mules feet can really add interest to finger carving!

Thanks for all the great comments everybody!

Ah, Ok. So, what looks like a thumbprint is just the knife width at the start of the cut? It's hard to tell from the picture. They are so uniform. Dang! Now I am impressed. And really demoralized. Thanks.

Thank you everybody. I really do appreciate all your kind words. It motivates me to try to do more on the next one!

Bobby

That is STUNNING!

tk

I seen your work in Albuquerque, New Mexico at the Leather Fiesta. That Rope Case is HUGE. It was amazing to see that purse in person.

Bob if you ever check out YOUTUBE, type in Filagree Belt, you'll see some Asian leather carver. He bevels 3 belts all in some jig he has. He has 80+ videos on his Leathercarving.

Bob, As always your knock it out of the park. just wonderful work.

Thanks for the post

Tim

I seen your work in Albuquerque, New Mexico at the Leather Fiesta. That Rope Case is HUGE. It was amazing to see that purse in person.

Bob if you ever check out YOUTUBE, type in Filagree Belt, you'll see some Asian leather carver. He bevels 3 belts all in some jig he has. He has 80+ videos on his Leathercarving.

Eddie that guy's amazing! Talk about production tooling! He engraves silver too.

Bob, As always your knock it out of the park. just wonderful work.

Thanks for the post

Tim

Thanks Tim!

That Sir is first class work. I can only aspire to work like tha

Very nice work!! I really like the design elements and the execution of the design is superb.

First off, absolutely amazing work!!!! it really is beautiful Bob. Everybody on this site speaks so highly of you and i can see why.

I hate to de-rail the thread but i went and looked at some of Eddie's work and i noticed that he dyes not only his background but even his tooled surfaces with a brush, and it makes it look awesome in my opinion so i figured id ask how it is he did it. Is he using severely diluted brown spirit dye, oil dye, water based? im still pretty new to leather so i apologize if its obvious haha.