Sign in to follow this  
Caelan

Horse tack patterns

Hi there,

I am looking for some strap goods patterns for tack that I can make for my own use. I am specifically looking for dimensions on curb straps, cinch connectors, stirrup hobbles, slobber straps and similar. I ordered the Tandy tack package, but it doesn't have any of the above in it and I can't seem to find patterns anywhere. I could measure the curb strap I have, but I dont have examples of the other items to use as guides.

I'd like to make a curb strap out veg tan with a latigo lining. What weight of veg tan and latigo should I use for a curb strap? I'd like the durability of a latigo strap but I want a veg tan overlay so I can stamp and dye it to match my dark oil headstall.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

:helpsmilie:

It seems to me my stirrup hobbles are cut 10" which fits a 2"-2,1/2" stirrup leather. I usually make them of latigo. I think you will find that by lining your curb strap with latigo it will be bulky where it turns back thro the bit and difficult to buckle. Many are make with veg tan leather. Cinch connectors - if you mean the offside billet they are often 36" long x 2" wide. I like to add about a 6" piece of thin latigo on the inside to take the extra wear of the cinch ring. If and when it wears thro it's easily replaced rather than the entire strap. Both ends of the latigo are skived to make a smooth join. I glue this on and then stitch both sides.