KnotHead

A Serious Question For Leather Carvers.

I have a serious question for all the leather carvers.

If given a choice in how many tools and which tools to use for leather carving; How many tools and which tools would you pick? My end goal is to do Sheridan carvings.

I am interested and ready to start my own carving for belts and wrist straps. I also realize that like with anything else this takes time and patience to learn and develop a good hand and eye for the work and project at hand. I understand this because I am braider ready to take my skills to the next level and be able to offer my customers a higher quality product. Any help is much appreciated.

Brian...

The Basic 7, swivel knife, seeder, camouflager , beveler, rawhide hammer, backgrounder, and pear shader those are all you really need to do any carving, all the other tools do is make it easier to do.

as for me never enough tools .... never!

Brian I was going to say the same thing as Wareagle. If you have the basic 7 you have everything you need to carve, the rest just make it easier. The way you braid and the beautiful work you do with that, I don't think you'll have any problem with a little practice. Cheryl

Edited by DoubleC

Basic 7 for the stamps

A good swivel knife(or 2) with good blades

A 14-16oz mallet or maul.

Granite slab. (sink cut out work great)

Thank you both for your replies to my question. This will help a great deal when picking tools out to start with and then move up as I progress. Turns out I already have two of the tools in the list.

Hammer & Swivel Knife.

B...

Granite slabs not a prob. I have a granite place near by that should have some decent scrap pieces laying around for cheap.

B...

If you are serious about Sheridan carving, then go with tools made for that purpose. As far as I am concerned, Barry King has the best value in these tools, and if you go to his website, he has a recommended tool list depending on what you are doing. IMHO. Craftools don't really work that well, as the bevelers aren't steep enough, thumbprints are too wide, and veiners are too thick, and they no longer have bargrounders. Start out with the best stuff, and you won't have to worry about replacing at some point in time. If will purchase the "Sheridan Style Carving Book" you will see the author does the big majority of his work with some 20+ stamps. As far as a swivel knife is concerned, there is none better than the SK3 by Leather Wrangler. It is pricey. but well worth it. They use a special alloy in the blade that holds an edge better than anything I have ever used.

Hope this helps,

Terry

What weight of maul do you all use the most? I am at Barry Kings now and looking at the mauls in both sections and wondering which weight is the most common to use.

Brian...

What weight of maul do you all use the most? I am at Barry Kings now and looking at the mauls in both sections and wondering which weight is the most common to use.

Brian...

From a total noobie who has serched here fot the same thing, it looks like 16 oz. is prefered by many for all aroung tooling. Biger/heavier for punches etc.

Thanks for the reply bones. I have noted that in my note pad.

B...

I'm learning too, and I ruin more leather than anything at this stage. I do like the maul more than a mallet. I get better impressions with fewer strikes on a big stamp. But I do have to be careful with a seeder and a maul--the greater (or rather, more focused) impact you get from a maul can drive a seeder too deep. I've learned I have to be delicate with seeders and other small-ended stamps.

This is the kind of thing I definitely need to read along with all the other suggestions. Thanks bear for your input as well. Your reply has been noted. I remember when I first started braiding. The lace I picked was obtrosious and should've never have been sold on the open market. Then I started cutting, beveling and splitting my own lace. Once I learned the kangaroo hide and what to look for in a hide, then the cutting came. I bet I went through a ton of scrap pieces of kangaroo before cutting my first hide just to learn my tool without the blood sacrifices. LOL... To which I am sure that most of us on this forum have made more than once.

Brian...

So many Brian I believe my neighbors think I' m satanic :-) Cheryl

I had meant to say thank you Cheryl for the very kind comment on my braiding. I am sure that you're far from satanic. LOL... I still have scars that show up really well in the winter time from my experiences in braiding. LOL...

Brian...

Brian:

I think mallet or maul weight depends on the user. I have a Barry King maul in 16oz.... that is more than enough to punch things for me. (Of course I keep my punches sharp!) I tend to like my cheapo mallet (11oz) for tooling better than anything. I hope to be able to get a 14oz eventually. I would recommend the 16oz only because it can handle the heavier jobs and with a practiced hand I think could handle the lighter jobs too.

I had meant to say thank you Cheryl for the very kind comment on my braiding. I am sure that you're far from satanic. LOL... I still have scars that show up really well in the winter time from my experiences in braiding. LOL...

Brian...

It was an honest comment Brian, your braiding is renown on this site. I had a friend recommend I look at a lot of your things when I was trying to learn. No I'm not satanic, LOL but I do wonder what the neighbors think of the regularly appearing wounds, OR some of the words they hear through the walls when the wounds happen, LOL. I'm not satanic but sometimes not too ladylike in my responses to pain :-) Cheryl

Oh I didn't respond to the maul/mallet thing because I have a wonderful poly mallet that was loaned me by a friend so haven't had a need to check out the others so far.

You have the same mallet I do. I think I will be adding to my mallet and maul collection soon. Both 16 and 20oz... Thanks for the input Sylvia. I do appreciate the advice and the time you're taking to give it.

Brian...

Brian:

I think mallet or maul weight depends on the user. I have a Barry King maul in 16oz.... that is more than enough to punch things for me. (Of course I keep my punches sharp!) I tend to like my cheapo mallet (11oz) for tooling better than anything. I hope to be able to get a 14oz eventually. I would recommend the 16oz only because it can handle the heavier jobs and with a practiced hand I think could handle the lighter jobs too.

I had no idea I was renown on LW... I try my best not to use the old navy verbage when cutting myself. LOL... But sometimes it really slips... LMAO...

Brian...

It was an honest comment Brian, your braiding is renown on this site. I had a friend recommend I look at a lot of your things when I was trying to learn. No I'm not satanic, LOL but I do wonder what the neighbors think of the regularly appearing wounds, OR some of the words they hear through the walls when the wounds happen, LOL. I'm not satanic but sometimes not too ladylike in my responses to pain :-) Cheryl

Oh I didn't respond to the maul/mallet thing because I have a wonderful poly mallet that was loaned me by a friend so haven't had a need to check out the others so far.

I was never in the Navy but I can certainly sound like a sailor at times, ROFL. Cheryl

I'll second the advice to get the highest quality tools you can at the beginning. Your skills will increase faster when you have tools that yield the best result.

LOL My husband was navy... and does a lot of Punchy Sounds intersperced with lots of M-F, C-S, G-D, ..... A couple month or so ago, I literally kicked the corner of the wall trying to get to the door in a hurry. I bent my toes back and heard the "crack"... it turned black almost immediately. I just whimpered.... Hubby goes "You ok?" "hmmmm No!..... " It's weird that I don't cuss when hurt.... but when I'm seeing red in anger.... there's has on rare occasions been a blue cloud surrounding my head. Thankfully that doesn't happen much.

Okay. Got my first piece of granite from the granite shop around the corner for $60.00 and it's huge and heavy. LMAO!!! See the image. LOL... But at least it will double as a roll out for my braid work. LOL...

post-1307-051509100 1346193316_thumb.jpg

Now for the poundo board and the rest of the basic tools.

Brian...

Hey, you're 1/2 done with your first project and don't even know it Brian :-) Cheryl

Hey thanks Cheryl. I just have to bite the bullet on the Tandy cost for the darn poundo board. I should be kicking my butt for not buying it when I was in El Paso on vacation. LOL...

B...

Brian, I had one given to me way before I know what it was for, and have no idea where it is. I've never used one. Actually until this weekend I used a marble cutting board :-) But in my new apartment they left a ton of 'stuff' and some of that stuff was BIG marble pavers. So I have seven of those and used one this weekend. Don't get too caught up in the 'stuff' and just do it. Trust me I know how scary that sounds because I feel that way every time I start a new project still but seriously just do it. OK, tonight, I want to see SOMETHING you did on your granite, a copied and carved design, forget beveling. Or a copied and beveled design, forget carving. Jump in Brian the water is so nice. Cheryl

I don't have the basic tools yet. Just the granite and a mallet that I don't think will be heavy enough. I need to get me some scap veggie tanned hides to practice with also. Wish I could just jump in. But I will wait till I have the things I need and then jump into the fire with both legs. LOL...

B...

How big is the granite knothead? looks plenty big to me. And as far as a poundo board........I have one and also an acrylic cutting board from WalMart .............I like the cutting board better! JMHO