Sign in to follow this  
ericluther

Watchband question

One of the main reasons I want to learn leatherworking is to make custom cuffs and watchbands, a friend had a store bought one and is made from two pieces of leather sandwiched together, it looks like one thick piece except where its started to seperate, my questions are why use two thin pieces instead of one thick one, and two if you do use two thinner pieces how would you avoid seperation issues if its not stitched?

Thanks in advance

Eric

Are you sure it's not one piece that's folded over on itself and glued together? This is how most of them are made, at least most of the ones i've seen. They leave a small loop near the crease of the fold for the spring rods to go through. As far as gluing without stitching, i would use something like barge contact cement, however, i would prefer stitching if the band is wide enough.

Marlon

Are you sure it's not one piece that's folded over on itself and glued together? This is how most of them are made, at least most of the ones i've seen. They leave a small loop near the crease of the fold for the spring rods to go through. As far as gluing without stitching, i would use something like barge contact cement, however, i would prefer stitching if the band is wide enough.

Marlon

it looks to be 2 inches wide, and the buckle is on a seperate piece of leather, so Im fairly sure its not folded

so do you think they just use inferior "glue"???

inferior glue? Hmmm, could be, or they may not have covered the entire piece with glue well enough. As for the two layers, it's probably cheaper for them to get two thin layers than one thick piece, I really don't know the answer to that one. :dunno:

Marlon

inferior glue? Hmmm, could be, or they may not have covered the entire piece with glue well enough. As for the two layers, it's probably cheaper for them to get two thin layers than one thick piece, I really don't know the answer to that one. :dunno:

Marlon

no prob Marlon thanks for the reply man!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

When I do wristbands I like using two pieces of leather for a few reasons.

1.) I can dye the inner leather and use my logo stamp(branding,branding,branding)

2.) I don;t like having the sueded side of the leather exposed. When i dye out some nice 2/3oz rawhide I wax rub the leather with an old canvas bank change bag that has been infused (rubbed with bees wax and then melted some) with bees wax and make the braclet/watch band smooth with a nice waxy finish.

3.) It does make the leather thicker. Often I have found awesome pieces of garment or thiner weight leather that was just too wimpy for the "Meaty" wristbands and watch bands that I like to make. For me and the customers that buy from me the "weight" and solid feel of the pieces I make are appreciated.

I've included a couple of photos for your reference.

One thing about watch bands is you need to measure the side straps of the watch when its closed. If you measure the side straps when its open, they are too short. Does that make sense?

Plus I like to lace. Single loop lace goes good on most of the pieces I make. I like using the Mexican Round (ie; watchband) makes the wristband even heavier and cooler to look at.

I use barge mostly because of the fumes it produces. But I have found that a good by product of the fumes is its a killer bond on the leather.

I've created some other prototype bands in the past without sewing or lace and they looked cool and lasted only a little while.

So if you don't want to stitch or lace your work together you will need to put yer brain on(I usually put the glue away when I want to do this) and engineer something that is cool and functions. Work on the function part first. Remember necessity fuels the design.

Good Luck to ya!

IMG_0360_2.jpg

IMG_0357_2.jpg

IMG_0355_2.JPG

IMG_0354_2.JPG

IMG_0353_2.JPG

post-5239-1200086382_thumb.jpg

post-5239-1200086392_thumb.jpg

post-5239-1200086402_thumb.jpg

post-5239-1200086410_thumb.jpg

post-5239-1200086417_thumb.jpg

hey thank you so much man Im a huge fan of your work, whens your site gonna be up I'd love to see some more work!!!

Nice work. Love the Mexican round braid. I noticed that you're holding the watch to the band with snaps. Does that hold well enough to use it with heavier watches? I've got a Seiko divers watch that I need to make another band for.

hey thank you so much man Im a huge fan of your work, whens your site gonna be up I'd love to see some more work!!!

Yea, the site. You'd think that someone with a 17 year history in graphics and even some web savy would pull it together. Soon.

lol I hear ya man, I did mine in photoshop then linked it up with frontpage, but it doesnt get updated as much as it should :)