happyhermit

Burnishing Tool

Hi! This is my first post ever! so please pardon any mistakes....

A leatherworker friend of mine recently asked me to make him a wooden burnishing tool that he could use with a drill.

He also said there was someone, that people were trying to reach, who used to make these here.

I'm not sure what kind of curvature and point are best for these tools, so I would like some input from anyone that uses them so I

can perfect them.

I have attached a couple of pictures of the ones I made so far.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks!

bubinga-3.jpg

walnut-1.jpg

walnut-s1.jpg

bubinga-2.jpg

post-13575-126811408914_thumb.jpg

post-13575-126811409664_thumb.jpg

post-13575-126811411049_thumb.jpg

post-13575-126811422165_thumb.jpg

Hi again Happy hermit;;

those look nice girl ,,are they made from hard wood?? ( a must I think ) ,,please show us the results of useing them....Doc...

Hi again Happy hermit;;

those look nice girl ,,are they made from hard wood?? ( a must I think ) ,,please show us the results of useing them....Doc...

Hi happyhermit - those look real nice! I can't really offer any valuable input, but I may be able to answer part of your question.

Weaver Leather sells a product very similar to yours, though theirs is turned differently. I'm attaching a page out of the catalog for your reference. One thing I will mention is I'm not sure how much benefit the bottom tear-drop portion would serve. Something cylindrical at the bottom would help with belt slots and the like.

Edgers.pdf

Edgers.pdf

Constructively, I like mine with two different types of grooves. My favorite is one that has a full 180 degree arc in the groove, not so much of a "V" as some of your grooves. It gives a round edge top to bottom. The other one I like has a 90 degree arc then a flat spot then another 90 coming out. The edges that result from that one are more of a just rounded over look. I don't use points much, but when I do, something like the Weaver design works well. I usually use an old chewed up one of those by hand. It has two diameters with a step down.

Thanks for the input! The ones in the pictures are bubinga (african rosewood) and walnut.

I haven't used them and haven't seen anyone use them yet, so I just had to use my imagination.

I tried to make as many curves as well as flat areas to give more options for use.

Would you like to try one out? The ones pictured are up for grabs.

I only ask that you give me your opinion after using it for a while.

I'd like to know how the wood does, if it should be thicker or thinner.

Do you burnish the edges of the leather pieces before they are sewn together or as a finishing step?

If you'd like to try one out (free of charge), send me an email with your address and 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices and I'll send it to you.

I looked at your work on your websites. Your work is amazing! Such artistry!

Thanks for making my first blogging experience a pleasant one!

Is this open to anyone? I'd like to try one out, if you don't mind. I've sent you a PM.

It's open to anyone.

It's on its way!

A leatherworker friend of mine recently asked me to make him a wooden burnishing tool that he could use with a drill.

He also said there was someone, that people were trying to reach, who used to make these here.

I'm not sure what kind of curvature and point are best for these tools, so I would like some input from anyone that uses them so I

can perfect them.

Thanks!

Got mine in the mail this week and have to say I really, really like it. All the grooves seem to vary widely enough to fit most projects. Most importantly it spins true and very well finished! I have to say, with the right exposure you will not doubt sell them. I love the fact that it has a metal shaft so I feel that it will be quite durable. Frankly it's hard to find anything wrong at all with it. It will no doubt do the job. Here is the holster I made using this burnishing tool! Thank you so much!

IMG_2626.JPG

post-13859-12700910429_thumb.jpg

Hi

Those look wounderful. I have sent you a PM, lookforward to hearing from you.

Al

Hello, I read your comment on Leathercrafter and would like to try out the edgerfinishers. Im having a problem locating anything that will get the edges glossy smooth. My name is J.R. Helm cell# 817 366 6687 (Panhandle of Texas) my address is 1221 W. Bradford Memphis, Texas 79245

Thanks J.R.

Thanks for the input! The ones in the pictures are bubinga (african rosewood) and walnut.

I haven't used them and haven't seen anyone use them yet, so I just had to use my imagination.

I tried to make as many curves as well as flat areas to give more options for use.

Would you like to try one out? The ones pictured are up for grabs.

I only ask that you give me your opinion after using it for a while.

I'd like to know how the wood does, if it should be thicker or thinner.

Do you burnish the edges of the leather pieces before they are sewn together or as a finishing step?

If you'd like to try one out (free of charge), send me an email with your address and 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices and I'll send it to you.

I looked at your work on your websites. Your work is amazing! Such artistry!

Thanks for making my first blogging experience a pleasant one!

I have a motor, I don't know what info you would need from me to fit your burnishing wheels on my motor.

I need one soon, I have been trying to contact Scott (the guy that makes burnishers too) but no answer!

I PMed you!

can perfect them.

Thanks!

Hey Happyhermit - your burnishers look great! I've been a woodworker & woodturner for a long time & have just got into leatherworking. So I'm enjoying making some things in my woodshop that I can use in leatherworking. If you don't mind, I'd like to copy your work. Can you give me a tip on how you put the steel shaft in the wood so it will spin true?

Thanks,

JD50