Sign in to follow this  
SS126

Could Use Some Info

i am making my first seat for my chopper and could use some help on the leather part of it. i already made the seat pan out of metal and have the foam on and shaped but i dont know where to get the leather from and what leather to use. Also when i put the leather on do i wet it all down and if so how much? soak it or just spay it with a bottle ?

i am making my first seat for my chopper and could use some help on the leather part of it. i already made the seat pan out of metal and have the foam on and shaped but i dont know where to get the leather from and what leather to use. Also when i put the leather on do i wet it all down and if so how much? soak it or just spay it with a bottle ?

Check out the top posts here: Biker & Motorcycle Gear forum you'll find 3 out of the top 6 are seat tutorials. As for the leather, that varies with your budget, skill set, etc. Tandy Leather Factory and Springfield Leather both carry hides and Wickett & Craig has nicer stock but you have to buy an entire side. Many folks will use somewhere between 7/8 - 9/10 oz leather for the top and 5/6oz for the sides. Vegetable Tanned (Veg-Tan) is the leather to use.

As for wetting, you'll want to do a search on the forum for threads about "Casing" and "Wet Forming", "Wet Molding", they will all discuss the amount of moisture used and how to form the leather around the foam. Sponged on and sprayed on (water bottle) are the most common. You don't want the leather to be soaking wet all the way through as it will take quite a while to dry and the moisture that can get trapped between the leather and foam can cause it to mold in there, bad juju. Just wet the grain side of the leather enough to make it pliable, it will turn a much darker shade of brown than when dry. Let the leather rest and soak in the water to about 1/2 it's thickness. You can always add small amounts of moisture to the leather as you work if needed.

thank you for the help. i can see i have quite a bit to learn !