Sign in to follow this  
Alan Bell

The Reasons Why

I know this is not actually about braiding but I figured I post this here anyway. This is a registered Spanish Barb gelding I raised and trained in an under bridle I made and a saddle I made.

post-1670-049044500 1306522331_thumb.jpg

post-1670-075134900 1306522356_thumb.jpg

Vaya con Dios, Alan

I know this is not actually about braiding but I figured I post this here anyway. This is a registered Spanish Barb gelding I raised and trained in an under bridle I made and a saddle I made.

Vaya con Dios, Alan

Great lookin tack Alan. Thanks for postin.

very nice...thats a good lookin fella...

Alan

Very nice looking gear it must be a hell of a feeling to know ya built every thing but the horse!!!

Mike

:notworthy: That is great gear and I mighty fine looking horse.

Thanks Everyone! It sure is a good feeling when the horse is responding and the gear is holding up and lookin good! Truly is the reason why! (Besides not being able to afford anything but home made!)

Vaya con Dios, Alan

I have got to say that I envy you totally. My goal is to have all tack made by myself. I have trained my mare, and now I need to complete the tack made by me.

I have a question about the bosal. Do just have it on to show with what you have made?

If not, It looks pretty large to have under a bit. Shouldn't it be a much smaller bosalita say maybe 3/4" or less? as seen in the extreme right in this picture? I'm not trying to belittle you. I'm just curious. As I see you are from Texas, and I am in California, so we may do things differently here. hackamores.jpg

it doesnt look too big to me....ive seen bigger and smaller...as long as the bit and bosal dont interfere with each other its ok

Vaya con Dios, Alan

That says it . What would we be without the horse ?

fj

Hey GrampaJoel, you are right! I have a 3/8" under bridle that is a tad small (length) for this horse so I squeezed the 1/2" hack on him as a two rein. Looks like your pic is a pencil bosal for a straight up horse (which he is not). When I get a chance I'll braid up a proper two rein hack so folks like you won't point out what a gunsel I am!! :)

Vaya con Dios, Alan

Alan Bell.

I seem to have offended you. I am very sorry that I have done so and I offer a public apology to you.

I apologize for making a comment that has darkened your day.

Joel

Joel, NO, NO, NO!! You have not offended me! You made an honest assement of what i presented in the picture! Mine was a feeble attempt to poke fun at myself. Now it seems I have to apologize to you for making you spend a day thinking you had offended me! Joel, You are alright!!! You can make camp at my fire ANYTIME!

This reminds me of a saying, "Everything I learned; I learned from the horse!" Some of you will know who said that, (the rest should find out!) We learn from each other how sensitive we each are, how callous, how polite or how mean through our little interactions. I've learned that Joel is an honorable Gentleman that says what he means and means what he says and will probably let you know in no uncertain terms when he means to offend so you don't have to guess! Hopefully he learned that I may kid around a bit too much but I have a little thicker skin than he was originally thinking and I am fairly hard to offend. I take constructive criticism well (or else I'd hate myself-my own 'worst critic')and if a person is telling it like it is, like Joel did, I have nothing to be upset about! I called myself a gunsel, I posted the picture knowing it was not "correct"! The horse is checked up and I was prepared for that criticism as well. I believe in and use that method some do not. I think it is important to understand fit, form and function! That is what Joel was talking about in his original response! Joel was correct! I'm not using the proper piece of gear in the picture. It is nice (and necessary) to have someone with enough knowledge of fit, form and function to be able to point these things out so we all can improve not just on our braiding technique but on our horsemanship because they are related ( like the egg and the Egg McMuffin )(I tend to ramble on a bit) (pretty birdee) (oh yeah I lose focus too)( and I like using paranthesis ) ( 4 syllables! )

Vaya con Dios, Alan

Very, very good looking rig , Alan ! Compliments !

A question about the horse : A Spanish Barb? Is that a mustang ? ( He looks steady as a rock !) The horse I´m riding ( a swedish breed) could be his twin brother ! A black gelding, 14.3 hands :-)

/ Knut

image.jpg

There's no better feeling than using gear and riding a horse you trained yourself is there?

I really like that horse! Is that your own brand on him Allen?

-Paul

Hey Knut, he is registered as a Spanish Barb. The Spanish Barb are the descendants of the horse originally brought to the New World by the Spanish. There are several registries each trying to figure outmwhat to call these horses, Spanish Barb, Spanish Mustang, Horse of the Americas I chose bloodlines with the least controversy my horses could be registered in any of the other registries if I choose. Your horse looks very similar.

Vaya con Dios, Alan

Yes Paul, that is my brand. I bred for this horse ( my stud and broodmare) raised trained and sold him and the lady broke her hip had to quit riding and GAVE him back! Matter of fact I have a lookalike sister that went through three different owners and was GIVEN back to me! Their mare is a "true" Medicine Hat Mare, grand daughter to the last Medicine Hat to come out of the wild! Disney made a movie in the 60's about that horse called 'Peter Lundy and the Medicine Hat Paint' and her sire was used by the Lakotah to fulfill Black Elks vision of a Horse Dance to bless the People in the mid 70's! A VERY special bloodlines! I've been told and it's seems to be true that I can't sell this bloodline I have to give them away as gifts that's why they all came back to me. My first Medicine Hat ,their dam was indeed a gift to me. A friend that was gifted that mares brother sold a colt that was given back to him and he just gifted it to someone last year! Kinda alters my breeding program a bit as I have a nice grulla stud colt from the black mare and I also have her older sister another Medicine Hat that is about to foal! Now to find worthy receipents!

Vaya con Dios, Alan

Gentlemen and Brother Braiders/Horsemen,

My name's Russell, and I'm a little new to the forum. I've posted on goat rawhide before.

I sit and read what's posted on different articles Herr. Today I've read about respect, love of horses and true brotherhood.

I count myself blessed or lucky to have happened across a group as solid as the men I've read of here!

Alan, I live in Texas as well, Kaufman County and I have Medicine Hat Stallions and mares. They do bring a spiritual thing

with them when they're born. My email address is Stringman211@yahoo.com. Gimme a holler sometime. This is mist definitive piece I've read on "The Reason Why"!

Thanks for the post.

Edited by Stringman211