Autist

Complete Newbie Looking To Get Into Leather Crafting

Hello, my name is Margus.

I am happy I found this forum. I have been watching videos and reading all sorts of information on leather crafting for the past few days.

It looks so much fun and challenging and very rewarding. I have always been quite handy at woodwork, have made some minor fixing jobs on pool cues including changing tips (made from leather) etc. I feel like with lots of hard work and dedication leatherwork would be perfect for me.

As always, it's hard to find a solid starting place. I was thinking my first project could be a simple wallet. I have been watching Ian Atkinson videos on youtube, and I am almost jumping in my chairs wanting to get my hands working, too!

I realise I need some tools to get started, and also realise I don't need a "super 568 part leather craftman starter set". But I wouldn't like to use kitchen knives and forks.

I was, however, able to find a nice reasonably priced starter kit from ebay.

The link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-stlye-BASIC-HAND-STITCHING-LEATHERCRAFT-SET-Leather-Craft-Tools-Kit-/231270426080?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d8caa5e0

The set is only 64 dollars with free shipping. Would you recommend that set? Are there any essential parts missing, besides needles and threads and leather, of course?

I hope this forum will become my home in near future, thank you so much if you decide to help me out a bit.

With best regards,

Margus

Edited by Autist

I think it would be a good start. I would say you would want a different awl though. This is just the basics though and you will find as you progress in the craft you will want better tools.

Expect to have to sharpen EVERYTHING that needs a sharp edge. For the price it should let you know if you like the hobby. If you do, than first replace them with good quality tools. If you decide you want to carve and tool the wallet you will need those tools also. Tandys Basic 7 and a cheap Tandy swivel knife is a way to see if you like tooling.

YEs you will wind up spending about $110.00 for tools that are poor at best but you are not spend ing a $500.00-$1000.00 to find out you do not like the hobby. Other side of the coin. I used to sell guitars and would alwos try to get parent to NOT buy the cheapest guitar so the kid could see if he liked to play. They were just to hard to play. Same will hold true with some of these cheap tools. If you have problems dont let it get you down, It might be to cheap tool.