Sign in to follow this  
Spinner

Baseball Themed Coaster Set

A client approached me a few weeks ago and showed me a set of coasters on Etsy that were simply 8 coaster rounds that someone had used a woodburning pen to draw in the lines and stitches. They were supposed to be baseballs with no color, just burned lines on brown leather and charging way too much for the little amount of work.

So his question was, what can I do to make them a bit more real looking. Here's the finished set that I made for him (it's a doctoring school grad gift for his future son-in-law) who is a Red Sox fan. Everything is 6oz. W&C leather, the coasters are dyed with Fiebings white dye and then punched and stitched with red .045" thread so they feel semi-realistic when handled. The back of the coasters has dark brown suede for the dirt (and to keep them from sliding around). The holder was the tie in piece, with the Red Sox "B" logo on one side and the rest incorporates elements from a ball park; grass, whitewashed fencing and wood grain for the bats. Painted with Golden Fluid acrylics..

post-10543-018893100 1306124734_thumb.jp

Edited by Spinner

Very cool concept, I really like seeing personalized stuff like this. Thanks for sharing it.

Moe

If it is my coasters you are looking at on Etsy it is nice to know that people are looking at my work. BTW it takes quite a bit of time to mark off all those lines and burn them and dye the coasters and seal them. We think they are pretty cool and they do sell for us. ;-}

Your coasters are really nice as well!

Lovejoycreations on Etsy

If it is my coasters you are looking at on Etsy it is nice to know that people are looking at my work. BTW it takes quite a bit of time to mark off all those lines and burn them and dye the coasters and seal them. We think they are pretty cool and they do sell for us. ;-}

Your coasters are really nice as well!

Lovejoycreations on Etsy

Hey CarvedOn,

Thanks for the compliment, I checked out your store and your coasters are better than the ones my client was looking at back in May. Same concept but yours have more lines, curved rows, etc. these didn't.

Glad to hear they sell well for you, keep it up. Looks like you've got a few admirers as well, take care!

Edited by Spinner