KatRides

Machine Id Please Any Info Would Be Helpful

my son just bought this machine apparently a chain stitcher, does anyone have any idea of any info. the stickers are gone so I have nothing to go by to start trying to find info on it.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I'm going down later in the week and will hopefully have better pics of anything that may help me research it.

T

hanks

Kat

post-32127-0-03218800-1379128637_thumb.j

It is known as a McKay stitcher used to sew soles on shoes. If you go on Youtube there are couple of videos.

It's a shoe machine for sewing soles from the inside. I have no ideal what brand it is. Try searching Mc Cay maybe Mac Kay sewing machines, not sure if either one of the names is the right spelling.

Looks like were typing at the same time or close to it.

Edited by dirtclod

Looking at the paint color I'd say it may be a Landis.

Kat's son here.

We know what it's for and how it works (for the most part) but it needs to be cleaned and adjusted properly.

It definitely looks like a Landis/McKay but as you can see it's not a model 77 nor a model 88, which are the only pictures of a standing chain stitch machine that i can find. From what I think I know Landis/Mckay machines are well marked, this one only had a brass plate mounted under the horn just above the wax/lubricant reservoir with no sign of any other missing plates or covers.

It's been well used and it's a bit jerry rigged (spool mounted on leftside with a coathanger, extra long springs stretched between multiple points, finishing nails in place of cotter pins, and of course a shoelace) but it more or less works.

It's a Sutton & it wasn't made for very many years,it was also sold as a bench mount.I don't know if there's parts available for it or not.You can try calling Gateway Shoe in St.Louis,MO.

I'll try and give gateway a shout tomorrow thanks.

it may be a Sutton but I doubt it was sold as a bench top. I've used bench top McKay's before and this one has too many vital parts below the join line that were designed to be there. the spool is up high but was originally meant to go in the bottom holder on the left side there with the thread coming out the top to the right leg, wrapping around an adjustable nub (which was lost and most likely why the spool is now mounted where it is) and then entered the top right side of the resrvoir (black box on the front, lid is currently on backwards), dipped into the wax/lube and then up through the bottom of the horn.

in every McKay model that I can remember using, the reservoir was attached to the horn itself.

one thing is for sure, this puppy is pretty old and most likely rare. thankfully the parts won't need to be replaces until they get worn out after 10-15 yrs