txoria

Rex 26-188?

Hi all! I tried searching this topic before posting but wasn't having much luck. I found a Rex 26-188 with table on craigslist for $350 & am considering buying it. I make small leather goods - I'm very into tooling & braiding - & having a sewing machine is the next big step I would need to take. I don't have any plans to make anything bigger than handbags/messenger bags in the foreseeable future, so all I need is a machine that can handle lighter weight vegtan pieces & thin garment leathers. My understanding is that these machines work just fine for those tasks as long as I can either find a smooth walking foot & feed dog for it? My boyfriend also machines his own motorcycle parts in our garage, so I'm really curious if anyone has ground down serrated feet or feed dogs & if so how well that worked out?

Also, what sorts of questions should I ask the seller?

Thanks!

Well the first thing I recommend is a quick Google search for REX 26-188 parts. It is exciting to get a good deal on a quality machine, but it is a real bummer when you cant find the parts for it, or have to pay a lot for parts since they are no longer made. I bet it has a clutch motor and you will need to replace that, they are power hogs and crazy fast so that's another 130-150 bucks for a new motor. That is why I would recommend an old Singer machine. There are plenty of parts most at a good price plus they invented the sport. If you just want to sew canvas and leather with a straight stich then you could start with a small machine like the 201-1 and get leather needles at any sewing super store. The 201-1 is a small tank, they can be found cheap, easy to move and repair and lean the basics on. If you want a machine that is a lot of fun for cheap get a Singer 401a Slant-o-Matic. They can do a variety of stiches still an all metal machine that is way better then any $500 new machine. But if you are still set on the big machine get the a Singer 111W machine with a Servo motor. It will take on just about any project under 1/2 inch, but with this machine you will have to get the parts from a commercial sewing store rather than a local store. remember to make sure it works before you buy it bring some test material along with you to try it out. Good Luck

I don't normally recommend dual feed machines for leather work, if any of it involves veg tan that will hold the tooth marks. It is best to stick with triple feed walking foot machines.

Smooth feet for the Rex 188 are as rare as hen's teeth. If you do find a set they may cost a fair amount. It would be cheaper to fill in the metal between the teeth, with liquid steel, or some other permanent compound, or braze bronze into the valleys and grind it smooth. This will effectively render the machine as single, bottom feed, with what amounts to a follow foot.

The Rex 26-188 is a copy of the Singer 16-188 so you can still get some parts for it. You can make the teeth rounded instead of sharp but it will still mark leather but not as much. I agree with Wiz regarding triple feed machines.

Edited by Cobra Steve

I also agree with Wiz & Steve a triple feed is best for leather!