chiefjason

Boss Tensions Tests With Pics

So, I'm trying to work out the tension on this new to me machine. It's a 10 year old Boss 1. So my questions are- How do these look? Do you see anything that obviously needs to be addressed? Any advice on addressing it?

I'm still getting to know the machine and have figured out a few things it does not like. These are the last 2 test pieces from today. They are the best yet. Presser foot could probably still use some tweaking. I'm using 346 thread from Tippmann and 7x3 230 needles (round point). The round point still blows out the back some, but the chisel points were worse.

First test stitch- front

DSC_0001_zps2e3e75d0.jpg

Front with starting point and backstitch. Stitch starts on top. Back stitch is the end and bottom.

DSC_0002_zps3f621e31.jpg

Back side of above pic.

DSC_0003_zps92c00f12.jpg

Back side of test piece.

DSC_0004_zps3ee5aa5c.jpg

Second test piece front

DSC_0006_zpsb9f915f2.jpg

Back side of two

DSC_0008_zps31d7eb7b.jpg

Close up of starting and back stitch. The large wad of thread was where the bottom bobbin ran out. Next time I'll back out several thread so I can keep tension on it when I re start.

DSC_0009_zpsa7cbf8b0.jpg

Looks pretty good. What needle and what size thread are you using? It almost looks like the needle is too large for the thread. Could be the lighting.

Michael

Do yourself a favor and use the chisel point needles for veg-tan.

I second the idea of using a chisel point.

Check your leather -- I noticed blowout on my test leather that was old and dry. When I used new (well...newer) leather, it didn't happen. Also, I am a little neurotic and sharpened my chisel point needles. It made beautiful cuts on the older, dry leather.

Needle is 7x3 230 round point with 346 thread. Recommendation straight from Tippmann. When I tried the chisel point it was worse on the tear out. I'll need to break out the magnifier and see what size chisel points I have to make sure I have the right size. I got a box of goodies but they are all tossed together.

I pulled the leather off the top of the scrap pile, so I don't think it's too old. Kind of acts like it on the back though. I even ran one with the back damp. The main difference was more track marks from the machine.

Thanks for the advice. I could really use this thing up and running. As it stands, I'm too busy to work on it much even though it would save me a lot of work. Making some progress makes me feel better though. I need to get back on it this weekend.

And here is a pic of the old girl. Lady in red.

DSC_0002_zpsa1e33ff9.jpg