Eirewolf

New Maskmaker Saying Hello!

Hi everyone! I'm new to Leatherworker.net, and fairly new (since January 2011) to leatherworking. I've been a sculptor for several years (usually small-scale fantasy creatures), and have always wanted to do maskmaking. I tried paper maché but didn't care for the process. I'd seen leather masks at Ren Faires and such, and been fascinated (and also mystified) by them. I had no idea how they were made... until I ran across the Merimask tutorial on YouTube, and realized that maybe I could do this too! So I bought a side of leather and some tools, and haven't looked back since! I'm hooked. I've made a bunch of masks (you can see some of them in my gallery here), and recently I've started making wrist cuffs and other things as well. Eventually I want to make more accessories, and maybe even work my way up to full suits of armor.

One of the things I love about leatherworking is that the learning curve isn't so steep as to be discouraging -- I can start making things right away -- but there is also so much more to learn that it should keep my interest for the rest of my life. I want to learn everything. :) That's one of the reasons I'm here (the other reason being, to meet other leatherworkers)!

(I'll post this in the Member Gallery as well, but I thought it might be more likely to be seen by fellow maskmakers here!) :wave:

Edited by Eirewolf

Hi Eirewolf nice to meet ya! I'm pretty much a newbie too even though I've been a member for awhile. I don't post here too often. It's a great resource however. Look forward to seeing more of your masks. :)

Hi Eirewolf nice to meet ya! I'm pretty much a newbie too even though I've been a member for awhile. I don't post here too often. It's a great resource however. Look forward to seeing more of your masks. :)

Thanks for the welcome! Nice to meet you too. I really like your hair sticks and woven cuffs. (I'm looking at your sold items on Etsy.)