Attached is a sketch of a design idea I'm working on for a tuckable IWB holster. The idea is that the attachment for the belt loops will be low enough to allow a shirt to be tucked between the attachment rail and the holster.

Let me know your thoughts/ideas.

For my first attempt the attachment rail will be a piece of leather. However, I would like to get my hands on some type of plastic or other material rail like in the othe pic here. Actually, I need to find a source for other holster type hardware that I'll post a separate topic for.

Thanks!

Rail.jpg

post-8124-1231435308_thumb.jpg

With respect to your attachment design, there is one holstermaker out there who claims to have a "design trademark" for it. However, research by competent intellectual property attorneys, and even the folks at the Trademark office, can find no record of it. The maker has been asked to provide proof of a registration or serial number, but has failed to do so.

If you would like to email or pm me, I can provide you with the name of the holstermaker and you can conduct your own research in that respect.

Edited by K-Man

With respect to your attachment design, there is one holstermaker out there who claims to have a "design trademark" for it. However, research by competent intellectual property attorneys, and even the folks at the Trademark office, can find no record of it. The maker has been asked to provide proof of a registration or serial number, but has failed to do so.

If you would like to email or pm me, I can provide you with the name of the holstermaker and you can conduct your own research in that respect.

Interesting...A tuckable design is not a new concept. However, I'm not sure how everybody does it.

Trademark on the tuckable or the rail concept?

I more or less stumbled across this because I couldn't figue out how to attach the belt loops because my snaps & rivets weren't long enough.

The rail I pictured is off a Comp Tac holster but it has the belt hooks which I don't really want.

PM sent.

Edited by JRB

To avoid any disputes of trademark (or patent) claims I removed the sketch.

If anybody has any ideas on making a tuckable IWB holster let me know. My original thought was something I thought of in my search to find a way to attach the belt loops when I couldn't find hardware long enough to go thru the holster, loop and snap stud.

I'm open to ideas that won't start any battles.

Since Kevin is referring to me I will be happy to jump in here and offer a few comments. I will not get into a discussion of the matter since Kevin knows full well the complete details regarding the specifics of this matter and has exchanged emails with my attorney.

The bottom line is that I have trademarked MY DESIGN for the conversion attachments that I use on my Mason-Dixon convertible OWB-IWB holsters. Again, the trademark is on my conversion attachments and NOT the actual holster, so anything that resembles, or acts in a sufficient manner to be essentially indistinguishable to mine would be an infringement. Whether Kevin, or anyone, can find an actual reference to the trademark is inconsequential at this point...the trademarked status exists and is enforceable.

Now, to the original content.....a tuckable IWB is not a new subject. Most makers, Kevin and I for two, make holsters commercially which are tuckable IWB's. As Kevin can attest, you can use another maker's design for inspiration, but directly copying is considered bad ju-ju.

And a last note, in case Kevin wants to escalate once again, my design was conceived independently of Kevin's and letter sent to him regarding my design prior to commercializing it. He referenced a design of his inspired by another maker....he took that design concept and made enough changes to call it his own. My design differed enough from the outset that I had nothing to change, however, as a courtesy I contacted Kevin after seeing his holster. The rest is history as the holster was introduced commercially AFTER that contact.

Whether Kevin, or anyone, can find an actual reference to the trademark is inconsequential at this point...the trademarked status exists and is enforceable.

Then provide the registration or serial number. The Trademark office says it does not exist. Without proof of the trademark application and/or registration, then one is free, legally, to make a clip design similar, or in exact specifications, to yours.

These holsters look very much like the holster I bought from Tucker Gun Leather probably two years ago. Great holster by the way. I wish I could find ANY way to improve it so that I could make some. I find no fault to correct though.

Then provide the registration or serial number. The Trademark office says it does not exist. Without proof of the trademark application and/or registration, then one is free, legally, to make a clip design similar, or in exact specifications, to yours.

Sorry Kevin....not getting into a urination match with you....have a nice day. My statements here, and in previous contacts with you stand. You make terrific holsters but would be best served attending to your own business.

Sorry Kevin....not getting into a urination match with you....have a nice day. My statements here, and in previous contacts with you stand. You make terrific holsters but would be best served attending to your own business.

Holster design is my business. Making sure that one does not copy another's work, that's protected by legal means, is a concern of mine.

Some information for you. Unlike patents, when trademark protection is applied for, it's basic info is readily viewable and available. In other words, if there's a trademark application in place, it would be accessible.

I'll have my attorney contact your registered agent and attorney and ask for proof of your claims. Wish you the best in your future endeavors.

I think I may be confused....Are you referring to ME, Kevin or another Kevin? Because I have no idea who you are. Perhaps I'll assume that it is another person. Your post appear right after mine so...I don't know.

Okiwen, Bluegrass is speaking to K-man, whose name is also Kevin. You're in the clear.

Gents, let's leave the legalese and so forth off the main board, please. That can easily be handled through PMs, emails, or attourneys.

Okiwen, Bluegrass is speaking to K-man, whose name is also Kevin. You're in the clear.

Gents, let's leave the legalese and so forth off the main board, please. That can easily be handled through PMs, emails, or attourneys.

Thanks. I'll stop puffing up now. I was beginning to hold my breathe so as to appear really big. They hate it when you puff up.

Back to the original request for information, you can get kydex sheet from KnifeKits.com, and several other suppliers. It is heat formed, and can be cut to shape and then heated with a heat gun or other heat source, and formed pretty much shape you would like. John

umm, yes, beck to the OP. One way to make an IWB into a tuckable holster is to split the 'ears' where your attachment tabs are. You can add leather washers to provide a gap between the belt loop/hook and the attachment point.

For hardware: You can use long rivets to attach snaps, t-nuts for screw posts.

Back to the original request for information, you can get kydex sheet from KnifeKits.com, and several other suppliers. It is heat formed, and can be cut to shape and then heated with a heat gun or other heat source, and formed pretty much shape you would like. John
Okie -Can you get the heat resistant foam for making a press somewhere else or are best to get it at KnifeKits? I know you don't need for the clips but would for other stuff.
umm, yes, beck to the OP. One way to make an IWB into a tuckable holster is to split the 'ears' where your attachment tabs are. You can add leather washers to provide a gap between the belt loop/hook and the attachment point. For hardware: You can use long rivets to attach snaps, t-nuts for screw posts.
"Split the ears"...I'm not sure I follow. Picturing this in my head the attachment point on the holster has to be about mid way down, or farther, in order to tuck a shirt. Then the snap part of the loop has to extend up past that to get over the pants. Sorry, I'm a little slow.

To avoid any disputes of trademark (or patent) claims I removed the sketch.

If anybody has any ideas on making a tuckable IWB holster let me know. My original thought was something I thought of in my search to find a way to attach the belt loops when I couldn't find hardware long enough to go thru the holster, loop and snap stud.

I'm open to ideas that won't start any battles.

One idea to get your length that you need for your fasteners is to go to a harware store and ask for Binding Post Screws. Fastenal.com has them and there is likely a fastenal near you. you can get them in stainless, brass, and regular steel zinc. Various diameters and lenghts. Fastenal can be a bit on the high side and they only sell in bulk, probably 100 pcs at a time. But if you sweet talk them they may give you a discount.

Hope this helps

Otis

Here is a link to a Kydex knife sheath tutorial. I haven't tried this yet, but he used a foam camp mat from walmart. Should be lots cheaper. I have got the kydex, now all I have to do get around to trying it. :rolleyes: John

http://www.northcoastknives.com/northcoast...ydexsheath2.htm

Another source of foam that will work in a press is those floor matts, those big squares about 20 - 22 in. sq. with inter-locking tabs. It's textured on one side and that will transfer to the leather if you want a texture, and smooth on the backside if you want smooth. It won't last as long as gum rubber but it's inexpensive and it works.