BigRiverLeather

Toro 3000 Not Stitching Straight Pattern, How Do I Get Back To That?

When I first got my Toro the stitches sewed in a perfectly straight line. over time it has gone more towards a zig-zag pattern for lack of a better term. You know, like it goes in one side of the hole and comes out the other.What is it that is causing that? I've checked my needle to be sure it is facing the proper direction.

The "manual" really gives no tips or hints. I wish Artisan would at least put a support section with common tips, tricks and fixes on their website.

If it matters, I did have the spring fall out of the bobbin case once while winding a new bobbin while I had inadvertently forgot to close the case. I put the spring back in but it doesn't seem the same as what it was. Since I'm not sure of what it was like before I have no point of reference.

Thanks,

Scott

Have you tried a new needle ? That one may be bent some.

When I first got my Toro the stitches sewed in a perfectly straight line. over time it has gone more towards a zig-zag pattern for lack of a better term. You know, like it goes in one side of the hole and comes out the other.What is it that is causing that? I've checked my needle to be sure it is facing the proper direction.

The "manual" really gives no tips or hints. I wish Artisan would at least put a support section with common tips, tricks and fixes on their website.

If it matters, I did have the spring fall out of the bobbin case once while winding a new bobbin while I had inadvertently forgot to close the case. I put the spring back in but it doesn't seem the same as what it was. Since I'm not sure of what it was like before I have no point of reference.

Thanks,

Scott

Without a picture of the stitching pattern, I am guessing that you have installed a leather point needle, with oval sides on a slight left to right angle. This needle causes the zig zag stitch pattern. You can escape from that by purchasing triangle or regular point needles. However, the regular point needles will hit much harder on thick or dense leather. The oval leather needles go in smoother.

They are triangle tip needles, using 346 thread and I'm sure the needle is sized properly. New needles have made no difference.

hi, using 346 thread, make sure the bobbin thread is no larger than 277. also, is the spring installed correctly? i'm sure you are aware that the thickness and type of leather dictates which type of needle. also, the needle has to be straight and sharp. and the correct size.

Thanks,

Scott

Sounds like the needle bar has some wear on it. Leave the power off and turn the machine by hand. Place a piece of (clean meaning no holes) scrap under the needle leave the pressure foot down run the needle bar down with the hand wheel do this while keeping pressure on the needle bar with your left finger, thumb, hand what ever you want to use. Hold pressure to the left and change directions put pressure to the right. See how far you can move the needle left and right doing this. It won't take long to see what is loose or worn. It might not be this but is worth a try.

yep, 277 thread is on the bottom, sewing 7/8 and 8/9 oz leather.

Busted, thanks for that tip. I'll try that tomorrow. Machine is only about 8 months old with maybe 100 holsters through it. I wish I could call Dave at artisan but I work a day job too and am never at my machine when he is open.

I've got pictures but they will have to wait until tomorrow.

They are triangle tip needles, using 346 thread and I'm sure the needle is sized properly. New needles have made no difference.

Get some S-point needles, they lay a straight stitch.

Oldtimer is correct you need to use the 794S point,that is our biggest selling needle for leather.They will make a real nice looking stitch because they make a cut in the leather that's in line with the stitching.

Bob, I think BRL is saying that the needle is no longer punching holes in a straight line, which it should do, regardless of the needle type. I agree with Busted, you have something loose or worn allowing the needle bar to move.

BRL, call Steve Tayrien at Cobra Leather (contact number on the ad banner), and tell him what kind of problems you're having. Odds are that he can diagnose the issue over the phone and probably talk you through the repair. He's intimately familiar with the machines and you'll get to see how he has earned his reputation for service.

OK, here are some pictures. I think the needle is punching the holes in a straight line, it just seems to be the way the thread is laying. I am using a 200 794 D needle that Artisan sent with the machine when I bought it. I'm ready to buy more needles so maybe I will get some of the S needles this time, or as well as the D needles. The D's used to stitch a straight line.

To the pictures -

uneven2.jpg

uneven1.jpg

I feel weird about calling Steve for free advice since I did not buy the machine from him. I received good service from Dave at Artisan, though their availability is limited to normal business hours which I am not normally around my machine or available.

OK, here are some pictures. I think the needle is punching the holes in a straight line, it just seems to be the way the thread is laying. I am using a 200 794 D needle that Artisan sent with the machine when I bought it. I'm ready to buy more needles so maybe I will get some of the S needles this time, or as well as the D needles. The D's used to stitch a straight line.

To the pictures -

uneven2.jpg

uneven1.jpg

I feel weird about calling Steve for free advice since I did not buy the machine from him. I received good service from Dave at Artisan, though their availability is limited to normal business hours which I am not normally around my machine or available.

There are folks on this forum more informed than I but I think you have the style of needle in your machine that sews exactly as you describe and from your photos I would say all you need to do is change the style of the needle. I would call this a western style stitching. Did I miss something?

ferg

If i use 346 thread i use a 230 needle.

Steve has been very kind and helped me although he isn't with Artisan. Dave has also called me during his off-work hours to help me when we couldn't hook up. If he knows you need his help and are only available later on, I'm sure he'll give you a call.

The stitches seems loose! Are you sure you got enough bobbin tension? The spring you talk about is it the bobbin push-out spring? It is conical and goes under the bobbin. Try to turn it the other way and see if it that helps. And check your treading to.

Trox

To the pictures -

uneven2.jpg

uneven1.jpg

Okay, need to correct my own statement...needle's stitching straight. It is that style of needle (D=diamond) that causes the stitches to lay in that pattern. I prefer it as it closely resembles handstitching. Changing the needle type should cure your ills.

To the pictures -

uneven2.jpg

uneven1.jpg

This chart might be of help. http://www.industria...doc3/thread.htm

The next needles you buy should be 794 r, d, or s size 230 or 250 for the 346 thread. TwinOak is right when you install a new needle you are placing the needle at a right angle to the hook so after the needle penetrates the leather and forms the stitch the thread falls where it may thus leaving the appearance of a zigzag stitch. Reposition the needle ever so slightly moving closer to the hook so the stitch forms earlier. That should move the thread to one side of the needle hole and do away the zigzag. This looks good on paper but I don't know if it will it fly???

Edited by busted

Hello BRL, please give me a call at 1-866-962-9880, I will give you some tips that might work. They are too long to post, but if anyone wants to know, then you can call me as well. You can call me on my cell after hours at 1-909-800-1429. Thanks, Steve

Edited by Cobra Steve

Hello BRL, please give me a call at 1-866-962-9880, I will give you some tips that might work. They are too long to post, but if anyone wants to know, then you can call me as well. You can call me on my cell after hours at 1-909-800-1429. Thanks, Steve

Thanks Steve, I really appreciate the offer. I'm going to put your number in my phone though and I'll be sure to check with you when I need some help, or supplies for that matter.Turns out my problem was the type of needle I was using as many have said here. I had some 180 S needles I used with some 207 thread and I got the straight stitch lines I was looking for. My guess is that when I recall my machine stitcing the straight lines in the beginning, my machine must have been shipped with a S needle. then I replaced it with the Ds I was provided with when it was time. Time to order some different needles.

Yes,the D point will make quite a different looking stitch than the S.We don't sell the D's anymore at all.

The S points sure will make a nice looking stitch.