leatheroo

mask...weird result

i made a new mask today, but it was one of those days when the leather wouldnt do what you want it to do...and i cut the leather all wrong....absolutely nothing like i wanted it to be, but i didnt want to waste the leather...so here is the result...'a bit strange' ... I will keep it for the market stall i have planned closer to christmas.. sometimes the pieces you dont like at all, sell first!!!

I found a supplier here in town that makes up their own brand of airbrush paint that is designed to go on flexible materials..it even says suitable for leather.

It airbrushed beautifully...just the right consistency, didnt have to thin it at all. I have used it on this mask.

Mystic_Ram_no14.JPG

post-4514-1223613956_thumb.jpg

I just thought to myself the other day that it was a long time since I saw a mask from you.

It is kinda strange, I agree but the colours is...WOW!!!

A Harlequin costume type might be suiting I think. At least it got me thinking of it.

Nice job!

Tom

leatheroo it may not have turned out like you intended...but it's still a very nice mask. interesting shapes and pleasing colors. i'm sure someone will buy it. i think it's great.

now you get the pleasure of making another one like what you wanted.

may i ask what type of airbrush you use? i'm considering buying one to apply dyes and stains, but i have no idea what to look for.

hmmm maybe i should start a new post!

anyway...i like your masks...what oz. leather do you use for those?

ken

hi ken, there have been quite a few posts about airbrushes, you will find them through the search function. I use an Iwata HP plus...love.love.love it..

I have had a few airbrushes over the years but this is my favorite. It has fantastic control..from wide spray to very fine lines.. For covering a large area i use a paasche VL..great for bigger jobs but doesnt have the fine control of the Iwata.

For my masks i usually use 1mm or 2mm veg tan (not sure what this is in oz.) I meant to use the 1mm for the project i had in mind but cut the 2mm by accident (must pay attention next time) so the leather wouldnt do what i needed it to do.

cheers

I cant believe i posted a picture of this mask...WHAT WAS I THINKING

Did someone slip something in my coffee this morning before i started working on this??

Nien Nunb.

Mike_Quinn_Nien_Nunb_2.jpg

Really, though, I think it looks great. Aside from Lando's co-pilot, I think Tom is right that it makes me think of Harlequinn or a jester costume.

It may not be the mask you intended to make, but it's some fine work none the less.

Now, I actually like this mask and the idea behind...Stop punishing yourself Roo:-)

My only objection might be the photo and the background, it takes away from the wonderful vivid colors.

I think the mask is great too - I love your work!

I have a big question for all you airbrush people: I know nothing about these things but having read several posts including this one I have kinda decided to go with an Iwata airbrush.

Queston 1: Is an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS like an HP plus? If not what is the difference in simple, easy to understand terms?

I will probably only use the thing occasionally but would like to try spraying leather finish to avoid bubbles, streaks etc. Now, what sort of compressor would you suggest for an Iwata airbrush?

I have been looking at all kinds and don't know where to start and living in the middle of nowhere doesn't help either. I don't have a handy store to ask my daft questions and will have to do everything mail order hence:

Question 2: Should I stick with the Iwata brand or what? Are all the fittings the same? What about air-pressure? what about noise? What model would be best to buy?

airbrush.jpg

post-6314-1223661496_thumb.jpg

I like it. It kinda reminds me of something you would see in Phantom of the Opera during the masquerade ball.

Very cool

I like this mask too. The overlapping pieces is a neat idea. And your coloring is great as always. If you would quit telling us when you mess up, nobody would ever know ;) I hope your next attempt turns out like you want it to. Can't wait to see it.

I think the mask is great too - I love your work!I have a big question for all you airbrush people: I know nothing about these things but having read several posts including this one I have kinda decided to go with an Iwata airbrush. Queston 1: Is an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS like an HP plus? If not what is the difference in simple, easy to understand terms?I will probably only use the thing occasionally but would like to try spraying leather finish to avoid bubbles, streaks etc. Now, what sort of compressor would you suggest for an Iwata airbrush? I have been looking at all kinds and don't know where to start and living in the middle of nowhere doesn't help either. I don't have a handy store to ask my daft questions and will have to do everything mail order hence: Question 2: Should I stick with the Iwata brand or what? Are all the fittings the same? What about air-pressure? what about noise? What model would be best to buy?
There is alot about airbrushes but they are basically the same tech from years ago when I use to use one for other art purposes. As far as air compressors just get whatever you can that you can use to fill a bottle with or get one that has a bottle attached. You see the compressor surges as it pumps and you dont want this transmitted to your airbrush so what I learned was fill your tank. Spray your work then refill your tank as need be during the process. If I remember iwata was pretty good. I allways used baush I think it was. Having a double action is nice as it allows more diversity for what you can use it for, basically double action lets you vary the thickness of your stream so you can do big areas or little tiny lines. I also liked having the ability to get a top and bottom feed. Basically for small stuff you put the top little cup on and for big prjects you could hook up a bottle to the bottom of it. Thats about all I got, good luckluck

Leatheroo looks really good IMO. I like the effect that the paint has, looks really smooth. Good job. And remember most artist are never trully satisfied with there own work. It doesnt help that your the one sitting there struggling with it and seeing every little tiny imperfection first hand. I know that kills me for projects, I see every little mistake. I would probably never finish a project if my girlfriend wasnt threatening me to get it done.

Edited by MADMAX22

Nice work as always!

Very nice mask. Really original design. I don't know what you were planning, but I suggest you stop apologizing for it cause it is really cool!!