entiendo

Just showing off...

Here is a commissioned bridle I think turned out quite nice and wanted to share. 

<br><br>The alamar knot browband was my friend Robin's idea.  She's also a member here, but new to braiding.  This is the second time I've used the knot, but I did it slightly different on each bridle.  <br><br><br>smbridle.jpg<br>smbridle2.jpg

post-6663-126263001388_thumb.jpg

post-6663-126263005146_thumb.jpg

Edited by entiendo

I have no idea why those codes are in my post. I tried to fix it but kept making it worse.

Nice work! And I like the way it looks on that horse. Is that the horse it is for?

I like the brow band. I have done something like that in horsehair... maybe I'll post it one of these days.

Edited by HorsehairBraider

Nice looking work!! Thanks for sharing!

Mike

Very well done, thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone! I'm pretty happy with it, though I have another idea that might make an even nicer bridle. I was a little worried about the 2 color plaiting as it was the customer's idea but it turned out very nice.

No, this is not the horse it belongs to HHB. In fact the piece that goes from the browband to the bridle would need to be adjusted just a little smaller for this horse. That horse is Chani, my friend and neighbor's horse. He really posed well for the pictures, do you think? Show off!

Edited by entiendo

WOW

That's wonderful work. Thanks for posting the pics.

Jackie, that is a lovely piece! I love what you did with the Alamar knot! Very unique! I also think that the interweave is awesome! I have to say, you picked a very handsome model to show it off!

Thanks Robin and Tim, Chani is very crippled but can still over bend and look pretty! We didn't even ask. I took the bridle to its new home today and she LOVED it, hugged me like 5 times. We girls sure do go crazy for our pretty tack. LOL

Just a thought, but when some of you guys do something as nice as this, it would be wonderful for you to take pics along the way for us newbies. Wow, great job!!

I've thought about this Charlie and I just don't take the time to take pictures during the process. In fact I absolutely hate taking pictures and if it wasn't for the help of my photographer neighbor none of my pictures would be worth looking at. LOL Right now I'm trying to train my daughter to do the picture taking for me. Then I'd be happy to share the process....well as long as she did the cropping and resizing as well.

I would be happy to share any of the process in words though.

I would be happy to share any of the process in words though.

Gday Jackie, i have just made my first Bosal and i am looking for a nice plaited headstall , well i do not think i will find a better one than yours , bloody awesome You_Rock_Emoticon.gif so if you would like to share details of lenghts and knots that would be cool with a capital C

Cheers from down under

Bevan

Thanks! That's very kind! Sure, it's really a very basic bridle. A lot of the measurements are in Grants "How to make Cowboy Gear". Though I do think I may have changed the pattern a little because Grants books made a very large bridle. I'll look at those sometime today. The alamar knot, if you choose to add that, is 20" and the piece that goes between the ears is 21". However the piece between the ears can be attached different ways. I looped it through the 2 bridle pieces but if it was attached with a knot it would need to be braided shorter. I also suspect that the knot would need to be braided fairly loose.

The alamar knot can be part of the browband rather than a separate piece like I have it. All you would need to do to figure the extra length to account for the knot would be to take your 8 plait core, make your knot and then measure how much string you used. For example, if your browband is 25" and your alamar knot took 10" of string to make you would braid your browband piece 35". Then you would have a double 8 plait browband.

Or you can come up with your own way to attach the alamar knot. I've done it 2 different ways now but I have an even better way in my head that won't be expressed until I find the time.