Sign in to follow this  
Timbo

Stitching horse plans on ebay

Here is a link to an ebay auction for some stitching horse plans. I bought them and they are pretty good plans. Very do-able. And shoot for 3.95 I didn't figure I had too much to lose. They are instantly emailed to you after you pay for them with paypal.

Let me know what you guys think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BUILD-A-STITCHING-HORS...1QQcmdZViewItem

stitching horse plans

Tim

.....sorry for the doubled link but it didn't work the first time

...........still not sure why the second link isn't working

Edited by Timbo

it's working, looks interesting I have worked with wood as a hobby for years probably not hard to build at all. I am slowly working on a potters wheel with some plans I found online. at times it seems like I'll never get it done.

it shouldn't be too tough. i'm actually thinking about not doing the spindle type legs but doing one solid leg on each end for a little more stability and less likelyhood of breakage. The plans call for 1.75" thick lumber for the seat and a 5"x5" chunk for the clamp. Good thing my brother is good friends with a guy who owns a sawmill!!! Getting this dimension lumber in red oak shouldn't be a problem. Jordan, if you, or anybody else for that matter, wants to build and need a source for the lumber, just let me know.

Potters wheel huh?? My brother used to be a potter by trade, he did it at Silver Dollar City for 8 years and about 5 or 6 on his own. Then he worked for a company as a sand sculptor, then he became a toy sculptor, which he still does, but now he also builds custom guitars. Hence the connection with the sawmill. Pottery is a lot of fun though.

Sorry, it's late for me and I've rambled long enough.

Tim

I think it is The ART OF HANDSEWING LEATHER By Al Stolhman that has the dimensions and sketches on how to make a stitching horse. In fact I believe that the plans for a regular horse and for one that is like a sit and stitch are both in there. Also the Randy Steffen article and prints are in one of the old Make with Leather magazines. If you want it I'll try and dig it out of the shop and scan it for you. Free is cheaper and take the $3.95 and put it towards a tool or something. Just let me know. Regards to everyone Billy P

I think it is The ART OF HANDSEWING LEATHER By Al Stolhman that has the dimensions and sketches on how to make a stitching horse. In fact I believe that the plans for a regular horse and for one that is like a sit and stitch are both in there. Also the Randy Steffen article and prints are in one of the old Make with Leather magazines. If you want it I'll try and dig it out of the shop and scan it for you. Free is cheaper and take the $3.95 and put it towards a tool or something. Just let me know. Regards to everyone Billy P

Billy,

I would love a scan of that if you can find it. I would like to redo the clamshell part of my horse.

Marlon

Google "Farm Woodwork" and you should find a listing for a limited preview book, starting on page 98 i believe there are detailed drawings, directions and parts list for a stitching horse. There are also alot of other possible useful drawings, i was able to download the entire book for free.

Billy - I'll second that request.

Thanks,

Brent

I was finally able to find the farm woodwork book online..........and lo and behold it is the exact same plan I just gave 3.95 for......boy do I feel ripped off. It must be public domain. So, here's a link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=KpkBAAAAY...2kjSA#PPA100,M1

Tim

Guess thats one of those live-n-learn moments, at least it was not your life savings, perhaps you can take solace in the hope that your $ will give him a hangover. I saw a thing the otherday that someone bought an item online and just got a picture of the item for their money. Amazing what lenghts some will go to for ill gotten gain.

Guess thats one of those live-n-learn moments, at least it was not your life savings, perhaps you can take solace in the hope that your $ will give him a hangover. I saw a thing the otherday that someone bought an item online and just got a picture of the item for their money. Amazing what lenghts some will go to for ill gotten gain.

There is a stitching horse for sale on Ebay.

....think I'll make my own copy of it and sell it on ebay for 2 cents, and word the title exactly the same as theirs.

tim

Mine is the Randy Steffen copy, if anyone wants those plans. It doesn't have spoke legs, instead a wide tapered board in front and rear with sretchers between them. Takes the issue of cutting angles out if you are carpenterially challenged. GH :crazy:

Mine is the Randy Steffen copy, if anyone wants those plans. It doesn't have spoke legs, instead a wide tapered board in front and rear with sretchers between them. Takes the issue of cutting angles out if you are carpenterially challenged. GH :crazy:

I'm interested in the plans you have GH, are they digitized?

Marlon

I have never used a stitiching horse before, just a cheap stitching pony (i guess you call it) that i made. My question is why is the clamp at an angle to the seat? I have a friend who is going to make one of these for me and wanted to know if he should build it with the clamp at an angle (as per the drawing) or if he could build it more perpindicular to the seat.

I'm thinking the main reason is, if you are right handed it gives you a better angle to punch your stitch holes, I guess you could call it urganomic or whatever. If you try it you may see that it is more comfortable to stitch from that angle from above rather than on a level.( I think it is easier on your elbow joint)

If you're left handed you may want to reverse the angla of the clamp.

Hope that helps.GH

and ..... you will be able to see your see your stiches.

i thought the same thing.

Timbo, thanks for that link to "Farm Woodwork". I built mine using the plans in the back of "The Art of Handsewing Leather", but it only shows front legs. Thats the way I made it only to find out I didn't like it. Sure it wasn't to hard to fix, but if I had used these plans it would have been better in my opinion. Anyway, thanks again.

I'd like a set of Randy Seffen's plans, if you would... tried to send you an e-mail about it but I don't think I got it done.

Mike Krall

Lander, Wyo.

I got my father-in-law to make me the stitching horse from the plans in Al Stohlman's book Art of Hand Sewing. A couple of minor adjustments, and I LOVE it. Sure beats trying to hold down that little stitching pony!

Marlon, let me scan them and send them in a PM to you and see how it works.GH

Could you send me the plans too please.

Cheers,

Chris

Since this has sort of turned into a hijack I'm going to do a new post so those interested in the RS plans can PM me.GH

Can a few people post some pictures so a newbie can see the difference in them? I want to learn how to do some of this as a hobbie but I am not sure what works best.

I'm thinking the main reason is, if you are right handed it gives you a better angle to punch your stitch holes, I guess you could call it urganomic or whatever. If you try it you may see that it is more comfortable to stitch from that angle from above rather than on a level.( I think it is easier on your elbow joint)

If you're left handed you may want to reverse the angla of the clamp.

Hope that helps.GH

Hello!

I would love to get Randy Steffan's stitching horse plans. Any chance you can send them to me?

Thanks & God bless,

Craig

Hello!

I would love to get Randy Steffan's stitching horse plans. Any chance you can send them to me?

Thanks & God bless,

Craig

same here ;-)

thanks

G.:You_Rock_Emoticon: