Spence

Combo Dog Collar

Here's one I just finished (almost). Edges need to be dressed.

It's 1.5" wide, tapered to 1" at each end. The inlay is self-tanned diamondback rattler. The concho comes from SX Industries. Stainless steel hardware. The snake skin is cemented on the back strap, given 3 coats of polyurethane varnish, then attached to the collar strap. Before that was done, I did the decorative stitching, a 3 strand applique. Once both straps were cemented together, I hand-stitched the entire collar with the same thread as the applique.

Next time: I'll use a larger diamond awl than I have, not a drill.

post-9389-0-93651400-1415206793_thumb.jp

post-9389-0-71284400-1415206814_thumb.jp

post-9389-0-86175800-1415206856_thumb.jp

post-9389-0-86174700-1415206883_thumb.jp

post-9389-0-57099400-1415206920_thumb.jp

That is a nice looking collar. What kind of stitch or weave did you use on that stitching? It looks nice. That snake skin inlay is really attractive.

Thanks! The "applique" is out of Bruce Grant's book, Leather Braiding. I just substituted the thread for the lacing.

Nice collar Spence! Thanks for sharing. I purchased a snake skin several weeks ago, but haven't mustered the courage to try an inset yet. The skin is "puckered" and does not lay flat. I wet it to flatten it, but it dried all "puckery" again. Any words of advice?

Awesome job. I know from experience that if you want it to stay awesome, dont let your dog wear it. I made my special pup a very nice snakeskin-inlaid collar this summer, and she had the skin scratched up beyond recognition within a few days. It was very disappointing how poorly the snakeskin held up, but since It was self-tanned at least I didnt lose a lot of money on it. Anyway, I hope that doesn't end up beIng your experience.

Lemons, I usually tell folks that these are "meet & greet" collars just in case the price didn't clue them in. If the dog gets a case of fleas, then no collar is gonna look good.

Hobbihorse, you might try rolling it up (loosely) and put it in a jar of 50/50 glycerin (Walmart or Walgreen, etc) and denatured alcohol for a few days. The pull it out and tack it to a board to dry for a few more days. Once it's try, cement it down to it's leather strap and roll it flat. I use a hard rubber roller from Hobby Lobby, but have used a rolling pin in the past. G'luck.