Sign in to follow this  
Pablo27

Another Round Knife Question

I have read most of the posts about Round knifes and I'm still not sure of what I'm doing. Just how does one know when it is time to switch to a finer sharpening stone, or to quit the stone and go to the strop? This site is a wealth of info and knowledge and I really spend a lot of time reading and learning. Any light someone can shed on this question would be greatly appreciated.

a lot of sharpening is by feel. There is something to watch for when sharpening tho. The burr. this will develop on the very edge of the blade as you sharpen. A burr occurs when the metal at the edge of a blade rolls backward. You can feel it with a finger if you lightly pull your finger toward the edge of the blade. Take notice as to how long it takes you to develop that burr on one side. Use the same approximate time to sharpen the other side. When this burr occurs, you can use a strop to get rid of it, leaving a sharp edge. I use a tormek to sharpen my blades and it has a 1000 grit wheel on it. I've used the three stone set up as well and it works fine. Change stones once you've developed the burr on both sides.

Here is a great video on how to sharpen a round knife. Credit to Paul over at Leather Wranglers for this.