Rottmaster

Need Help With This Knot

Well folks I'm back again asking for help again.

What I need help with is as you can see in the pictures is the knot that is holding the cross together.

Does anyone have a tutorial on this knot or some kind of instructions or something?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Russell

post-7142-091102200 1319774940_thumb.jpg

post-7142-053107600 1319774956_thumb.jpg

Hey Russ.

You might try the Turks Head section in the Abook. You'll find some interesting patterns in there.

B...

just my two cents

but this seems to be more like a "wrap" rather than a knot, the reason i say so is because the patterns are different and second which is more convincing for me is that the bits on top/bottom and sides seem two "stack" on top of each other sort of like an interwoven two bit knot except that you have them on four sides. well im not sure if the last part is very clear but you might look for "wraps" i think i saw a youtube video that resembled this alot or was at least very similar. not sure what it was called though.

I know which one you're talking about. TIAT did a vid on it.

Māori Hei Toki Lashing

Had to dig it out to find it. LOL...

B....

Thanks so much Brian and George,

now it comes to me after reading your post it looks like a fancy lashing rather than a knot.

George I to thought that there was two different patterns.

Brian I to have seen this video, you know me Mr. download and Mr. save as.

Thank both of you guys and if you come across something please let me know.

I think this one may be one of those trial and error projects for me.

But once again thanks so much for the help, you guys are great.

Russell

I know how to make this center for the cross. It is quite simple actually but I don't know to explain it with words. I would have to take some pics and upload them. I have to warn you that the back is open. The center of the cross doesn't look covered in the back as it looked in the front. Seen from the back you just see a couple of turns around the arms of the cross. If you still want the steps I can upload them when I have some time.

Cheers,

Enrique

I have seen other people make these crosses and tie the corners together with just Spanish Ring knots. I know you were wanting to tie this one in particular, but it might be easier to just do ring knots.

CW

I know how to make this center for the cross. It is quite simple actually but I don't know to explain it with words. I would have to take some pics and upload them. I have to warn you that the back is open. The center of the cross doesn't look covered in the back as it looked in the front. Seen from the back you just see a couple of turns around the arms of the cross. If you still want the steps I can upload them when I have some time.

Cheers,

Enrique

Yes. If no one else does I would like to have some photos of it being done. If just for archiving the instructions.

B...

Cheers,

Enrique

Enrique

yes please, pictures would be great.

After I see how it's done I might be able to come up with some kind of way to make the back look like the front.

But yes Enrique pictures will do just fine.

Thanks so very much for the help.

Russell

Ok. Here they are.

The thong comes from behind the long arm of the cross. It goes from the bottom to the left arm.

IMG_0994.jpg

Then from the left to the top

IMG_0995.jpg

Then it goes from the top to the right and when it comes back to the bottom, it goes over one under one.

IMG_0996.jpg

That is the base of it. Now you just repeat the same sequence from bottom, to the the left, top and right but every time you find thongs, you cross them unver or over so they lock. This picture shows 1 complete turn through all the 4 arms. When it goes up, first it will go UNder 1 and Over 1. Then for the following, it will be Over 1, Under 1 and Over 1 untill the first complete turn is done.

IMG_0998.jpg

One more complete turn.

IMG_1000.jpg

And this is how it looks from behind.;

IMG_1001.jpg

You can put something before hand in that space so it doesn't look empty. I have seen for example a piece of rawhide cut as a cross.

I hope this help.

Cheers,

Enrique

Nice work Enrique. Thanks very much mi amigo.

B...

Enrique

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Mike

Muchisimas Gracias !!!!!!!! Enrique

Manny Thanks !!!!!!!

All righty, did anyone figure out how to do this. I thought I had it until I turned my cross around and I had like 5 wraps around the top and bottom of the cross and only one or 2 on each of the sides. Can't figure it out, about to have another go. You would think as many turks heads I've made I could figure out how to do this one, it's the same principle, it's just that I can't really figure out when to go over and when to go under and what string I'm following.

Ok. Here they are.

The thong comes from behind the long arm of the cross. It goes from the bottom to the left arm.

IMG_0994.jpg

Then from the left to the top

IMG_0995.jpg

Then it goes from the top to the right and when it comes back to the bottom, it goes over one under one.

IMG_0996.jpg

That is the base of it. Now you just repeat the same sequence from bottom, to the the left, top and right but every time you find thongs, you cross them unver or over so they lock. This picture shows 1 complete turn through all the 4 arms. When it goes up, first it will go UNder 1 and Over 1. Then for the following, it will be Over 1, Under 1 and Over 1 untill the first complete turn is done.

IMG_0998.jpg

One more complete turn.

IMG_1000.jpg

And this is how it looks from behind.;

IMG_1001.jpg

You can put something before hand in that space so it doesn't look empty. I have seen for example a piece of rawhide cut as a cross.

I hope this help.

Cheers,

Enrique

got it figured out. Took quite some time. The strings would end up in the wrong place when I did the wrap. Still not sure if I could do it again but at least when I do it wrong I know I'm just following the wrong string.

I wanted it to be a key chain but I don't think it's gonna work. It's roo of course, but I braided it over a strong fishing line so the cross would hold its shape. I'm not sure it's gonna work because the fishing line really wants to twist in ways I don't want it to, so I made this one a Christmas ornament. I tried other knots to hold it in place better but it didn't look very good.

The only thing is, how in the world do you hide and secure the strings on that turks head?

post-6663-042983100 1321856251_thumb.jpg

got it figured out. Took quite some time. The strings would end up in the wrong place when I did the wrap. Still not sure if I could do it again but at least when I do it wrong I know I'm just following the wrong string.

I wanted it to be a key chain but I don't think it's gonna work. It's roo of course, but I braided it over a strong fishing line so the cross would hold its shape. I'm not sure it's gonna work because the fishing line really wants to twist in ways I don't want it to, so I made this one a Christmas ornament. I tried other knots to hold it in place better but it didn't look very good.

The only thing is, how in the world do you hide and secure the strings on that turks head?

post-6663-042983100 1321856251_thumb.jpg

I told you I knew how to make one, but I haven't done anyone other than to show people how to do it. Probably I will hide the ends under the whole braided part on the front.

I like the one you made.

Congratulations.

Enrique

LOL...Well when you are that good and willing to share I bet the questions are never ending. In fact I tried making the first "simple" knot in you book and ended up putting it away without accomplishing my mission. I'm going to have another go soon.

I ended up hiding the strings on the back side of the cross under the loops. I'm calling it a Christmas ornament so I should be OK.

Do you know if an interweave can be added to this?

LOL...Well when you are that good and willing to share I bet the questions are never ending. In fact I tried making the first "simple" knot in you book and ended up putting it away without accomplishing my mission. I'm going to have another go soon.

I ended up hiding the strings on the back side of the cross under the loops. I'm calling it a Christmas ornament so I should be OK.

Do you know if an interweave can be added to this?

No that I know of. Actually I tried to do this one but I abandoned it because I didn't like how it looked behind. The when I saw the ones made by others and I turned them over, I found it was done the same way. There is a really complicated one where you actually braid also behind the cross. It doesn't have an interweave other than run a parallel thong after you are done. That one is a real crossed turks head. I tried to make and I failed. It is not easy. You have to make 4 turks head one on each arm and then you have to replace them with only one single thong. There is a tutorial in Facebook somewhere.

I will let you know if I find another one.

What knot you couldn't make from my book?

Cheers,

Enrique

Hey all. On my site an author of a tutorial for a Turks Head cross of 6 bights. It is in grid form. But if you were to use a toilet paper tube as the mandrel, it should turn out quite good.

Turks Head Cross Tutorial

B...

I actually don't mind the back to much. I'm making them as Christmas ornaments and then I'll give them as gifts I think. However I would like to learn the other turks head so I will take a look. Thanks Knothead. You always have good things!

First knot of the knot chapter, I'm embarrassed to say. The one you said was most common and most simple. I couldn't even get past the square knot. I will have another go. Anything worth doing is worth taking the time.

There's another tutorial for a Sailor's Cross by Don Burrhus here: Sailor's Cross tut

I made about 300 of these so far, they make great gifts as everyone loves them. Hope you guys like 'em, too!

The camouflaged one went w/our nephew to Afghanistan.

post-13360-089551700 1322016832_thumb.jp

post-13360-027160500 1322016850_thumb.jp

post-13360-097601200 1322017973_thumb.jp

Edited by skyout

very nice skyout. I just might try one of those.

VERY good instructions skyout! I got tricked around one of the loops the first time, had to pull out a bit, but then watched for it the next time with no trouble. This is what I came up with. I don't know why it's sideways?? very weird. It doesn't show up like that in my photo program or my iphone. Anyway I want to extend the size of the knot and add a pass, let's see if I can figure it out. It seems as thought it is possible.

post-6663-003207900 1322041277_thumb.jpg

Very nice to each and every one of you. Tell me,if you would please, how tall and wide is the cross? I am going to have to make some of these and think that over Thanksgiving I may have to soak some rawhide and braid. Helps in the digestion of the turkey and the relaxation with 8 kids in the house.

Thanks entiendo, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing one out of roo!

Hi Joe, here's a pic with a penny included to give you an idea of the size.

post-13360-015690800 1322057944_thumb.jp

Edited by skyout