renegadelizard

I Went And Done It Now...pink!

Here they are!! All pink and frilly...but my wife and her friend loved them so I guess I done good...Im not real happy with the stitch lines, too far away, but it seemed the leather stretched more than usual..i used a few drops of dish soap when i go them wet for molding..maybe that did it, as i usually don't use it...it also might be because the last half dozen holsters I made before these were with some of that really stiff HO that everyone has been experiencing lately...anyway, they work and they are "pretty", and if they loosen up, ill run another stitch line...enjoy and please don't take my man card away...lol..

post-30702-002105600 1344807783_thumb.jp

post-30702-031778000 1344807803_thumb.jp

It could be in part because of the soap. I read on here a long time ago to use a drop or two in water for casing, and have been doing it ever since. I'm pretty sure it works by breaking the water's surface tension and making it "wetter"....or....it penetrates the leather better.

That's ..ah .. well... PINK.

Well done.... I think ?

All kidding aside, they look nice!

What did you end up using for the dye?

Jake

I used the angelus Rose dye, cut 1:1 with mineral spirits...it was just the shade of pink my wife demanded...i should have charged her more for th etrouble..lol..

It could be in part because of the soap. I read on here a long time ago to use a drop or two in water for casing, and have been doing it ever since. I'm pretty sure it works by breaking the water's surface tension and making it "wetter"....or....it penetrates the leather better.

I think you are right, or a combo of both the soap and leather...with the "super hard" HO, I would have to soak it sometimes for 30-40 seconds just to be able to spread the holster open to get the gun in...this was an 8 second duck and it came out sloppy wet....even after I let it dry out a bit it was still pretty stretchy...and of the two holsters, one was much firmer than the other after baking it...cant figure that one out either.. i think after i use up what I have left, im going to take a page out of Katsass's book and start going with 2 layers of 5 ounce glued together...it will cost more, but I think it will make a better holster and it will allow me to start playing more with inlays...

Edited by renegadelizard

I think you are right, or a combo of both the soap and leather...with the "super hard" HO, I would have to soak it sometimes for 30-40 seconds just to be able to spread the holster open to get the gun in...this was an 8 second duck and it came out sloppy wet....even after I let it dry out a bit it was still pretty stretchy...and of the two holsters, one was much firmer than the other after baking it...cant figure that one out either.. i think after i use up what I have left, im going to take a page out of Katsass's book and start going with 2 layers of 5 ounce glued together...it will cost more, but I think it will make a better holster and it will allow me to start playing more with inlays...

From the old grump: Renegade - they look good, and if you decide to do some inlay for the ladies, I found some PINK snake skins without too much digging around. But remember, too much girly stuff and your 'man-card' begins to fade. But on the other hand, an XDM .45 ain't too feminine a shooter IMO. Mike

P.S. I've been looking around for a real nice grass-green (scales removed) snake skin to replicate a Green Mamba (many are brilliant green with the black mouth) for a sheath similar to this (done with vinegaroon)

004-6.jpg

Edited by katsass

If the ladies are happy then you are happy!! They look pretty darn good. Well done!!

My local boot maker told me about dish soap to help in molding some super dense veggie tanned hide I was working with. Before it just did not want to stretch and form well, but the soap really did the trick.

From the old grump: Renegade - they look good, and if you decide to do some inlay for the ladies, I found some PINK snake skins without too much digging around. But remember, too much girly stuff and your 'man-card' begins to fade. But on the other hand, an XDM .45 ain't too feminine a shooter IMO. Mike

P.S. I've been looking around for a real nice grass-green (scales removed) snake skin to replicate a Green Mamba (many are brilliant green with the black mouth) for a sheath similar to this (done with vinegaroon)

004-6.jpg

I like that sheath. I have a nice knife in my box waiting for a sheath. I've been scribbling trying to find a design I like. This one fits the bill perfectly. Now to order some 5 ounce from Kevin.

I like that sheath. I have a nice knife in my box waiting for a sheath. I've been scribbling trying to find a design I like. This one fits the bill perfectly. Now to order some 5 ounce from Kevin.

It's 4/5oz, lined with 2/3oz. The snake stands about 3/8" above the shell.Welts are 8/9oz. Here's the back side. Have fun. Mike

003-9.jpg

Edited by katsass

It's 4/5oz, lined with 2/3oz. The snake stands about 3/8" above the shell.Welts are 8/9oz. Here's the back side. Have fun. Mike

003-9.jpg

Hey Mike, how did you attach the top of the belt loop. I'm scratching my stubble here trying to figure that one out.

Good work. I"ve got a bottle of that Rose dye as well, just haven't had the time to make a pink one, but I think I'll do it soon. Is Mineral Spirits the only thing you can cut the dye with?

Good work. I"ve got a bottle of that Rose dye as well, just haven't had the time to make a pink one, but I think I'll do it soon. Is Mineral Spirits the only thing you can cut the dye with?

I'm not sure. I use the low odor kind and I've used it with auto body paint reducer as well. The low odor mineral spirits smells much less offensive. Denatured alcohol works as well. Actually, now that I think about it, I did use denatured alcohol with this as I ran out of mineral spirits with my brown dye.

Hey Mike, how did you attach the top of the belt loop. I'm scratching my stubble here trying to figure that one out.

From the grump: The belt loop is just an extension of the back side of the sheath, with the 2/3oz lining on it ( lining id dyed dark brown and produces the smooth exterior). Folded over and cut in what ever design you want.

Edited by katsass

From the grump: I use only denatured alcohol. Mike

Renegade, you got me motivated. My wife picked up some denatured alcohol last week and I went to work. This is for an M&P Shield. I don't have a buyer yet, but I hope some lady will eventually be very happy with it.

sm_PinkShield.jpg

LOL I'm going to show you fellas something.

post-26936-053426700 1345504481_thumb.jp

This is my Dean Performer, Faded Pink... guitar. I bought it second hand from a MAN who played at live shows. Ha! He even had a Daisy Rock Candy electric in hot pink.

Renegade, you got me motivated. My wife picked up some denatured alcohol last week and I went to work. This is for an M&P Shield. I don't have a buyer yet, but I hope some lady will eventually be very happy with it.

sm_PinkShield.jpg

Nice lines on that...is that hand or machine stitches?...very clean...im sure it will sell quickly

LOL I'm going to show you fellas something.

post-26936-053426700 1345504481_thumb.jp

This is my Dean Performer, Faded Pink... guitar. I bought it second hand from a MAN who played at live shows. Ha! He even had a Daisy Rock Candy electric in hot pink.

so what you're saying is my man card is secure at this point...cause if he was playing a pink guitar, well my making a pink holster or two don't mean diddly squat...lol..

Renegade, it's machine stitched on my Cobra 4. Right now, the holster, and 4 others are displayed at the county fair. I'm pleased to say that they all have blue ribbons.

Renegade, it's machine stitched on my Cobra 4. Right now, the holster, and 4 others are displayed at the county fair. I'm pleased to say that they all have blue ribbons.

Good Job.....thats pretty awesome...Im working on getting a cobra 4...the leasing company said my business was too young too for them to help out..so im expoloring other options

holsters look great....

having your wife shoot and want to carry a handgun in a holster you made is well worth loosing your man card!!!