Sign in to follow this  
CountryStyle

Advice On Dying

First and foremost thank you for any help you can provide!

I am working on a Bible cover and I have just about got it all carved and tooled. I wanted to ask what the best technique for dying it would be. It has some basketweave, a cross with some backgrounding around it, borders. Whats the best technique for dying the basketweave area? Does it matter if I get dye in every little crack and crevice? How can I ensure uniform coloring? Also, what should I use to finish it out? I have some eco flow satin sheen, mink oil, saddle soap, and some OLD supersheen (from 2002 it looks like).

Once again, I appreciate any help!!!!

After it's finished I'll post it for critiquing.

Depends on the look your going for really. If you want one event color, I have had good luck on basket weaves applying dye in circular motion with a douber. Going heavy and wiping off the excess will cover everything. Though I think on a heavy tooled cover, I might run a coat of hi-lite stain over the whole thing, wipe that off the surface, then hit the whole thing with the final dye color. As for finishing, either satin sheen or supersheen would work. I personally like wax finishes over acrylics if the project isn't going to see a lot of outdoor use, but personal preference.

I find that with basketweave, and single color doesn't really let the pattern stand out.

I second the use of a highlight coat first, clear off the excess, then go over with your main color. Just make sure that the highlight and the main stain are compatible colors. That way you get nice definition in the basketweave.

As far as the mink oil: I use that a bit myself, I find that, after dying, just a few drops of the oil on a rag, making a couple of passes over the item will usually be plenty. Don't want to overdo it with an oil that heavy.

To get in every nook and cranny (which makes it look better over all, in my opinion), you can load up a sponge and kind of smash it down over the stamped or cut area that needs the color, it will kind of make a stain foam over the area that you can then wipe away with the sponge. It tends to nicely color the area.

That may not be considered a good way to do it, but it's how I do it.

Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate the help! All I have left to do is apply a finish and I'm done! I will post it for critiquing.