Spider

Gabriel's Fallen Mask

This is a mask i asked to make for a friend who is in a band. He wants to wear it while playing bass. Since he doesn't sing it's not an issue. This was tough cause I used a small face and hand shaped it to adult scale. ugh.

He is actually the one who gave me the tools that got me started in my new OCD... :deadsubject: LOL

P.S. Gabriel's Fallen is the name of the band. iTunes has them if you're interested and MySpace.

IMG_4208.jpg

spider i love the stitching, and this color is a real winner.......are you addicted to mask making? i think so.... it is a good thing.... because you are excellent at it and you have your own very distinct style !!!

spider i love the stitching, and this color is a real winner.......are you addicted to mask making? i think so.... it is a good thing.... because you are excellent at it and you have your own very distinct style !!!

YAY! Thanks Roo. Actually, I am hoping to take a break on the mask making for a bit, or at least till I get a full size head. This thing ain't easy without a face to mold on. I actually put the leather while still soaked on my face and pressed to get the imprint of key points like my nose and eyes. Then I used the hair dryer to semi dry it. HOT!!! lol Then i used the small face and cotton balls to build cheeks and such. Yeah, I'm taking a break. LOL I bow to you Roo.

Good one, Spider. I like the finish with the antiquing and the wrinkles. And the stitching. I could see a cool Frankenstein done like that.

DUDE!!!

Soo freaking cool mask! Can't believe you've done that without a head to mold it on.

Very horrorific... :notworthy::notworthy::clapping:

Tom

Thanks Leathercat. I might take a break from these cause they are a bit tough without a face, except mine, to put them over. It gets hot blowdrying my face. You should pat your Mom on the back for her wonderful work cause these are not easy.

Thank you Lindatt. I appreciate the YOU ROCK!!!! lol

Thank you Banwell, I had it all smooth at first but it looked too new. yeah I love the stitching. It's actually Hemp which takes the dye really well.

Breathing? What for? Maybe we can match the musician to the mask in appearance.

DUDE!!!

Soo freaking cool mask! Can't believe you've done that without a head to mold it on.

Very horrorific... :notworthy::notworthy::clapping:

Tom

Thanks Tom, the mold I had was my face on this one, oh and a small mask to hold the dome and some cottonballs. yeah I feel sorry for my wife too cause as you can see I'm not much of a looker.

Spider,

I put my oven on the lowest setting possible, and once my masks are dry enough to hold their basic shape I put them in on a cookie sheet for two minutes or so. The time varies depending on the oven and the thickness of the leather. Not enough to dry them completely, but enough to stiffen them so I can put the rest of the sculptural detail in. Then, using shoe laces through the holes where the strings/straps, whatever will eventually be, I hang them face-down from a row of pegs on the wall. I let them hang this way overnight, and in the morning they're dry, quite hard, and ready to be painted. It might be worth a try?

AMAZING mask, by the way! I love it, and I don't want you to stop! Hopefully the oven technique will make it a little easier. Oh, and I've found that golf balls are perfect for puffing the cheeks out a little, etc. : )

Edited by TCLeathercraft

Spider,

I put my oven on the lowest setting possible, and once my masks are dry enough to hold their basic shape I put them in on a cookie sheet for two minutes or so. The time varies depending on the oven and the thickness of the leather. Not enough to dry them completely, but enough to stiffen them so I can put the rest of the sculptural detail in. Then, using shoe laces through the holes where the strings/straps, whatever will eventually be, I hang them face-down from a row of pegs on the wall. I let them hang this way overnight, and in the morning they're dry, quite hard, and ready to be painted. It might be worth a try?

AMAZING mask, by the way! I love it, and I don't want you to stop! Hopefully the oven technique will make it a little easier. Oh, and I've found that golf balls are perfect for puffing the cheeks out a little, etc. : )

Ok I will try this technique. I will have to think of a new theme to try it with. Thank you for all the advise.

Very cool !!! Is that the saddle tan gel again?? The color looks like the last one you did, which i love.

MORE MORE MORE !!!!!

Very cool !!! Is that the saddle tan gel again?? The color looks like the last one you did, which i love.

MORE MORE MORE !!!!!

Yes it is Freak. Put it on smooth and then redo it letting it puddle. Looks like a mess but I actually worked on highlighting some and shading other spots.

Thanks bro.

Wow, the detail and look on this mask are stunning.

Great job!

Spider, your imagination is an inspiration. Great looking mask, wonderful color, and the stitches ...well, they make the mask. Wonderful job on this.

Ken

Wow, the detail and look on this mask are stunning.

Great job!

Thank you Paulanator,

I got word back that it scared quite a few people as he wore it on stage and then off. YAY!!! :evillaugh:

Spider, your imagination is an inspiration. Great looking mask, wonderful color, and the stitches ...well, they make the mask. Wonderful job on this.

Ken

Thank you Ken, I think i'm in love with saddle tan and tan in the TLF antique gels. Yeah, I have to start using the blunt needles for the stitching cause these suckers poke hard and it hurts. lol :ranting2:

Spider,I put my oven on the lowest setting possible, and once my masks are dry enough to hold their basic shape I put them in on a cookie sheet for two minutes or so. The time varies depending on the oven and the thickness of the leather. Not enough to dry them completely, but enough to stiffen them so I can put the rest of the sculptural detail in. Then, using shoe laces through the holes where the strings/straps, whatever will eventually be, I hang them face-down from a row of pegs on the wall. I let them hang this way overnight, and in the morning they're dry, quite hard, and ready to be painted. It might be worth a try?AMAZING mask, by the way! I love it, and I don't want you to stop! Hopefully the oven technique will make it a little easier. Oh, and I've found that golf balls are perfect for puffing the cheeks out a little, etc. : )
Love that, golfers cheeks lol, great tip, i intend to try it soon. ThanksSorry ;love the mask its grusomely cool, keep p[osting spider don't stop, no rest for you!!! lol

This is a mask i asked to make for a friend who is in a band. He wants to wear it while playing bass. Since he doesn't sing it's not an issue. This was tough cause I used a small face and hand shaped it to adult scale. ugh.

He is actually the one who gave me the tools that got me started in my new OCD... :deadsubject: LOL

P.S. Gabriel's Fallen is the name of the band. iTunes has them if you're interested and MySpace.

You are one evil man :) . Got me all scared with that mask. Great man.

You are one evil man :) . Got me all scared with that mask. Great man.

LOL, Thank you for the props Madtailor, Just having fun. I will post pics of my buddy on stage when I get them.