Seamus85

Help With A Mckay Please

McKay style stitcher that looks like there might be some damaged/missing parts for the cast off, but I haven't been able to find a pic of an identical one for comparison. The former owners grandson seemed to think it worked but not entirely sure.

The only markings on it are "Manufactured for Denby Bros. & Co. Vancouver B.C." I have a manual for a champion 77 and it's close but not exact.... or maybe there is more missing than I think.

Anyway, I can get it to start stitching but it won't let go of the first loop before grabbing the next. It has been inactive for many years but seemed to operate fairly well (for what is there) after we cleaned the grime off and oiled it. Anyone have any ideas?

I posted several more pics in my gallery. if that helps.

post-11976-064177100 1306559032_thumb.jp

Hello my name is Walter and I work in a shoe shop and that is a sole machine for stitching the mid sole to the boot top we have a very old one in our shop it called a Blake machine, we kind of had the same problem make sure the thread when it come up from the bottom that it goes through the looper its a small space in the looper at the top of the horn and a wax thread works the best and sometimes you have to run your hand finger close to the loop to hold it down while the hook pulls the next loop through. It is a chain stitch machine.

McKay style stitcher that looks like there might be some damaged/missing parts for the cast off, but I haven't been able to find a pic of an identical one for comparison. The former owners grandson seemed to think it worked but not entirely sure.

The only markings on it are "Manufactured for Denby Bros. & Co. Vancouver B.C." I have a manual for a champion 77 and it's close but not exact.... or maybe there is more missing than I think.

Anyway, I can get it to start stitching but it won't let go of the first loop before grabbing the next. It has been inactive for many years but seemed to operate fairly well (for what is there) after we cleaned the grime off and oiled it. Anyone have any ideas?

I posted several more pics in my gallery. if that helps.

You mean hold down the previous loop down while trying to sew the next one? dunno about that Walter, my luck I'll stitch my fingers together. But I'll see if that helps. Thanks for the input.

Hello my name is Walter and I work in a shoe shop and that is a sole machine for stitching the mid sole to the boot top we have a very old one in our shop it called a Blake machine, we kind of had the same problem make sure the thread when it come up from the bottom that it goes through the looper its a small space in the looper at the top of the horn and a wax thread works the best and sometimes you have to run your hand finger close to the loop to hold it down while the hook pulls the next loop through. It is a chain stitch machine.

You mean hold down the previous loop down while trying to sew the next one? dunno about that Walter, my luck I'll stitch my fingers together. But I'll see if that helps. Thanks for the input.

Walter is right; it looks complete to me as well. It may need some minor adjusting.

Just a quick note you don't have have your finger right beside the needle just hold the back side of the loop so it helps push the loop forward so that the awl andneedle can pass with little or no catching the loop. I you do any adjustment they should be small one as they make a big difference. Good luck.

Walter is right; it looks complete to me as well. It may need some minor adjusting.