Snpr9696

Arbor Press

I have a large Arbor Press that I use daily for my stamping/impression needs but I find myself going towards needing a Clicker press too for some new projects. Is there a way to modify the arbor press to do this job. Has anyone tried it?

I would be cutting 5oz Horween for wallets using a die I would have made.

I don't know what kind of press you have here is one using a Harbor Freight hydraulic press.

http://www.shoeschool.com/shoeschool/downloads/pdf/Hydraulic_Cutting_Press_ShoeSchool.pdf

3 ton or so arbor press should be able to cut wallet parts. A little 1 ton will cut Rolodex cards out of 3/4 oz veg tan using a steel rule die that was made for card stock.

Tom

Thanks guys...yeah I'm thinking of the Hydraulic route too. Maybe better just to have a dedicated machine.

I don't know what kind of press you have here is one using a Harbor Freight hydraulic press.

http://www.shoeschool.com/shoeschool/downloads/pdf/Hydraulic_Cutting_Press_ShoeSchool.pdf

3 ton or so arbor press should be able to cut wallet parts. A little 1 ton will cut Rolodex cards out of 3/4 oz veg tan using a steel rule die that was made for card stock.

Tom

I picked up one of the Harbor Freight 12 ton presses. Modified it with steel plates and I use it all the time (more than I thought I would). I use it for pressing stamps as well as clicking out pieces. Great investment that didn't cost too much $$$

Andy

I picked up one of the Harbor Freight 12 ton presses. Modified it with steel plates and I use it all the time (more than I thought I would). I use it for pressing stamps as well as clicking out pieces. Great investment that didn't cost too much $$$

Andy

Andy, thanks that's what I was going to do.

I was having some issues getting the details in 3D stamps to show up using just my mallet in thin leather, so I broke down and bought the 1 ton from Harbor Freight.

I was wondering what you all use, if anything, to put between the steel plate and the leather to be stamped when using thin, say 3/4 oz leather to help bring out the details of the stamp.

Hey All,

Sorry to bring up this older thread but i had some questions for some of you who have have modified their arbor presses to use as a clicker (this is a genius idea!). Thanks Camano Ridge for linking to the instruction guide for the modification!

I'm looking to possibly do two of these, one of 12 ton arbor presses for larger cuts and one of the 6 ton benchtop arbor press to keep on the bench for quick small cuts/stamps.

Anyway, this modification guide recommends 1" thick steel plates and 2" thick cutting boards. Is that overkill or is that totally necessary? What thickness plates and cutting boards are you guys using and how is it working out?

Would love to see some pictures of your own arbor press modified clickers!

Thanks in advance!

Where is this modification guide you speak of? I would love to see it.

Lenore